History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Public Library

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0491 / 54°2'56"N

Longitude: -2.8016 / 2°48'5"W

OS Eastings: 347613

OS Northings: 461753

OS Grid: SD476617

Mapcode National: GBR 8PWM.88

Mapcode Global: WH846.YH28

Entry Name: Public Library

Listing Date: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194972

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383210

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761NE MARKET STREET
1685-1/7/177 (North side)
Public Library

GV II

Public library. 1932. Built for the Borough of Lancaster in
the Neo-Georgian style. Sandstone ashlar, with channelled
rustication to the ground floor and entrance bay, and a slate
roof. Deep rectangular plan which links at the rear with the
Children's Library on New Street (qv).
2 storeys and 3 main bays with a moulded band between the
storeys, a first-floor sill band, and a cornice with blocking
course. The entrance bay, towards the left, projects slightly;
to its left is a small window on the ground floor, with blank
walling above. The doorway has a flat arch with a triple
keystone, above which is a panel carved with the words 'PUBLIC
LIBRARY' in raised lettering and flanked by fasces; it is
placed under an open segmental pediment carried on engaged
Tuscan columns. Above is a window with moulded architrave and
a cornice. Below the main cornice is the date '1932'; the
blocking course rises into a tall panelled die which is
decorated with an urn.
To the right of the entrance there are 2 windows on each
storey: those on the ground floor have round heads and are
slightly recessed under round-headed arches with decorated
keystones; those on the first floor are like that above the
doorway. The right-hand end of the facade is recessed slightly
and contains on the ground floor a service doorway under a
flat arch with a panelled keystone.
INTERIOR: the main library hall (behind the front block) is a
single-storey space with a barrel-vaulted ceiling and
rooflight.


Listing NGR: SD4761361753

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.