History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Storey Institute

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0489 / 54°2'55"N

Longitude: -2.8044 / 2°48'15"W

OS Eastings: 347432

OS Northings: 461731

OS Grid: SD474617

Mapcode National: GBR 8PVM.NB

Mapcode Global: WH846.WHRF

Entry Name: Storey Institute

Listing Date: 18 February 1970

Last Amended: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194973

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383214

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761NW MEETING HOUSE LANE
1685-1/6/181 (North side)
18/02/70 Storey Institute
(Formerly Listed as:
MEETING HOUSE LANE
Storey Institute (now School of
Arts))

GV II

Art institute. 1887, extended 1906. Designed by Paley and
Austin. Sandstone ashlar with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs
with curved gables and tall chimneys. White glazed brick used
for rear walls of extension. Jacobean Revival style. Built on
a corner site with a domed octagonal turret at the junction of
the 2 facades.
2 storeys with attic and cellars. Facades have string courses,
and glazing bar sash windows which have roll-moulded surrounds
on the ground floor. On the first floor they have architraves
with moulded sills and with strapwork ornament above moulded
pediments.
The facade to Meeting House Lane has 3 principal bays with
paired windows on the ground and first floors and with the
attic windows rising into dormers which have scrolled shaped
pediments. Between them are narrower bays which have timber
attic dormers set behind the parapet and projecting from the
mansard roof slope. The right-hand bay contains the doorway,
which has a bolection-moulded architrave with an outer
moulding enriched by shaft rings and with a segmental
pediment. To each side are engaged Tuscan columns with
strapwork decoration above their bases, supporting an
entablature whose cornice continues the string course. On the
1st floor are 2 rows of windows lighting the stairs.
Towards the left of the Meeting House Lane facade is the Art
Gallery, which projects forwards slightly under an elaborate
shaped gable with cornices, finials, and 4 pilasters rising
from 1st-floor level. On the ground floor are 4 windows and a
door. Above, the wall is blank except for a central oculus in
the gable and a first-floor plaque inscribed: 'IN HONOREM
VICTORIAE REGINAE NOSTRAE... MDCCCLXXXVII'.
To the left is a lower studio of one storey plus attic with 2
windows on the ground floor and with its upper window rising
into a gable dormer. At the left a single-storey curved wall
contains a round-arched gateway. At the right of the facade
the corner turret has a lead dome with a spirelet.
The facade to Castle Hill is of 4 bays, treated similarly
except that the 3rd bay has 4 windows on the ground and 1st
floors, and has paired attic dormers.
To the right, canted back at an angle, is the addition of
1906, of 3 storeys, with 2 bays at the left projecting
forwards slightly under a shaped gable with an oculus and with
paired windows. To the right are 2 main bays in the centre,
with paired windows, with narrower bays to their left and
right. Set back behind a parapet is a long timber attic
dormer.
INTERIOR: the 1st floor rear corridor is lit by a curved
stained-glass window designed by Mr Jowett of Shrigley and
Hunt and containing medallion figures symbolical of Painting,
Sculpture, Architecture, Music, Literature and Science, and
the names of men distinguished in the Arts. The 1st-floor
exhibition hall is top-lit by a lantern spanned by 4 trusses.
In a semicircular alcove at the rear is a marble statue of
Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort sculptured by Mr Wood of
Chelsea.
(Cross Fleury (pseud.): Time-Honoured Lancaster: Lancaster:
1891-: 224 - 226).


Listing NGR: SD4743261731

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.