This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0491 / 54°2'56"N
Longitude: -2.8021 / 2°48'7"W
OS Eastings: 347579
OS Northings: 461761
OS Grid: SD475617
Mapcode National: GBR 8PWM.47
Mapcode Global: WH846.XHT6
Entry Name: 24, New Street
Listing Date: 22 December 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194981
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383241
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD4761NE NEW STREET
1685-1/7/211 (West side)
House, now chemist's shop with offices above. Late C18,
altered C19 and C20. Coursed and roughly squared sandstone,
and a slate roof. Double-depth plan with a rear wing to the
3 storeys above a cellar, and 3 bays. The doorway to the right
has a timber doorcase with reeded Doric columns with a deep
necking to the capitals, and a 9-panel door, the top 3 glazed.
The shop front, to the left, is late C20. All the upper
windows have projecting plain surrounds, with 12-pane sashes
on the first floor, a 9-pane sash to the right on the second
floor, and late C20 top-hung casements to the other 2
second-floor windows. The pestle and mortar above the doorway
to the shop dates from the early C19 and was moved c1988 from
No.23 Market Street (qv). Axial chimney stack on the right.
Listing NGR: SD4757961761
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings