History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

38-42, Parliament Street

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0538 / 54°3'13"N

Longitude: -2.7949 / 2°47'41"W

OS Eastings: 348056

OS Northings: 462279

OS Grid: SD480622

Mapcode National: GBR 8PXK.PK

Mapcode Global: WH847.1CCL

Entry Name: 38-42, Parliament Street

Listing Date: 22 December 1953

Last Amended: 13 March 1995

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194984

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383252

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Bulk

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4862 PARLIAMENT STREET
1685-1/4/219 (East side)
22/12/53 Nos.38, 40 AND 42
(Formerly Listed as:
PARLIAMENT STREET
No.38)
(Formerly Listed as:
PARLIAMENT STREET
No.40)
(Formerly Listed as:
PARLIAMENT STREET
No.42)

GV II*

Toll house and inn, now vacant. c1787, altered C20. Built as
toll house for Skerton Bridge (qv), which was built 1783-87.
Designed by Thomas Harrison as part of his plan for the
approach to the new bridge. Sandstone ashlar with squared
coursed sandstone to the sides and slate roofs. Built on the
axis of the bridge, to terminate the view towards the south
when approaching Lancaster.
Symmetrical, with taller 2-storey 3-bay centre linked by
screen walls to 2-storey 3-bay pavilions with pedimented
gables. All the front windows with glazing bar sashes behind
temporary covers. The central block (No.40) has a plain ashlar
lower storey, and the bays of the upper storey are separated
by paired engaged Ionic columns carrying a plain frieze,
dentilled cornice, and a blocking course. Above the central
window is a blank tablet, and above the outer windows are
blind rectangular recesses. The doorway has a pediment carried
on plain console brackets and a door of 6 vertical panels
below a horizontal glazed panel. The roof is hipped and has
chimneys to left and right.
The screen walls are each of 5 bays under a cornice and
blocking course and have alternating round-headed and
rectangular blind recesses.
The pavilions have storey bands below the moulded pediments.
Each has a blind recess in the centre of the 1st floor, and
has a chimney on the front and rear gables. The return wall of
each pavilion is of 3 bays (that nearest to the front blind)
with a central single-storey ashlar porch which has a cornice
and blocking course and has pilasters flanking the doorway. At
the rear the central block has a tall stair window and is
connected to No.38 (to the south) by a single-storey late C20
restaurant extension.
INTERIOR: a stair with stick balusters is visible through the
window of the central block.


Listing NGR: SD4805662279

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.