History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Town Hall Computer Block

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0468 / 54°2'48"N

Longitude: -2.7972 / 2°47'49"W

OS Eastings: 347897

OS Northings: 461493

OS Grid: SD478614

Mapcode National: GBR 8PXN.63

Mapcode Global: WH847.0K81

Entry Name: Town Hall Computer Block

Listing Date: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194990

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383150

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761SE GEORGE STREET
1685-1/8/119 (North side)
Town Hall Computer Block

GV II

Fire station, now offices. 1908. By Edward Mountford. For Lord
Ashton, as part of the scheme for the Town Hall (qv) on Dalton
Square. Baroque Revival style. Sandstone ashlar and slate roof
with coped gables. Rectangular plan, 5 bays wide and 3 bays
deep, and one storey plus an attic, with a tower rising behind
the fourth bay.
Shallow pilasters on the corner carry a cornice with a
blocking course which rises into the gables on the sides. The
first 3 bays, originally doorways for the fire engines now
blocked and partly glazed, have a flat arch with a triple
keystone and a cornice. Above the third bay, in the centre of
the facade, the blocking course is pierced by a many-paned
lunette with a triple keystone under a coped gable. The
right-hand portion of the facade contains a round-headed
doorway flanked by slightly taller windows with triple
keystones. The right-hand side has a central doorway (now
blocked) with a Gibbs surround, flanked by windows with triple
keystones and surmounted by a round-headed mezzanine window
(now largely blocked). All the original windows have 12-pane
sashes. The left-hand side has, on the first floor, a stone
oriel with canted sides. The tower has in each face a
many-paned lunette with a triple keystone under a cornice and
blocking course. It is capped by a copper-covered dome and an
ornate wrought-iron weather cock (now painted) with an
urn-shaped body.


Listing NGR: SD4789761493

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.