This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.047 / 54°2'49"N
Longitude: -2.8016 / 2°48'5"W
OS Eastings: 347608
OS Northings: 461524
OS Grid: SD476615
Mapcode National: GBR 8PWN.70
Mapcode Global: WH846.YJ1V
Entry Name: 40 and 42, King Street
Listing Date: 18 February 1970
Last Amended: 13 March 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194998
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383175
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD4761NE KING STREET
1685-1/7/141 (West side)
18/02/70 Nos.40 AND 42
(Formerly Listed as:
(Formerly Listed as:
House, now shop and flats. Mid C18, altered C19. Coursed
squared sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and chamfered
quoins. Composition tile roof, brick chimney stacks.
Double-depth 2-unit plan.
3 storeys and 4 bays, with cellar to the right-hand half,
formerly symmetrical. The ground floor has a central doorway
with shouldered architrave, pulvinated frieze, and segmental
pediment on carved brackets, to the left, an inserted shop
window and doorway under a fascia and blind-box, and to the
right, a shuttered cellar opening and a pair of windows. Both
upper floors have 4 windows similarly arranged in pairs, and
all these windows have moulded architraves, and are sashed
without glazing bars. Moulded cornice, gable chimney stacks.
To rear a central giant elliptical-arched stair-window with
keystone, now mostly blocked but with a 2-light window on each
Listing NGR: SD4760861524
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings