This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0565 / 54°3'23"N
Longitude: -2.7978 / 2°47'51"W
OS Eastings: 347873
OS Northings: 462572
OS Grid: SD478625
Mapcode National: GBR 8PXJ.2M
Mapcode Global: WH847.090L
Entry Name: Church of St Luke
Listing Date: 13 March 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195002
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383188
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Skerton East
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Skerton St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD4762 MAIN ROAD, Skerton
1685-1/3/340 (West side (off))
Church of St Luke
Parish church. 1833, with late C19 addition. Squared coursed
sandstone with ashlar dressings. Slate roof with overhanging
PLAN: west tower, a nave with north and south aisles under a
continuous roof, and an added north vestry.
EXTERIOR: the tower is of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses,
corner pinnacles, and an embattled parapet. The west doorway
is pointed and chamfered in 2 orders and has doors with blind
tracery decoration. Above is a window of triple stepped
lancets. The bell openings are single lancets. Single lancet
windows light the west ends of the aisles. The north and south
walls are of 7 bays separated by buttresses, with a single
lancet window to each bay, and diagonal buttresses at the
corners. The eastern end of the north wall is now covered by
the added vestry. The east window is a triple stepped lancet
flanked by single lancets lighting the aisles.
INTERIOR: open timber roof of scissor-braced trusses. West
gallery with timber front. Stained glass windows include one
on the south side of the chancel depicting St Luke, in memory
of Richard Clark (d.1838), and 5 windows in memory of members
of the Whalley family.
Listing NGR: SD4787362572
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings