This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0536 / 54°3'13"N
Longitude: -2.8054 / 2°48'19"W
OS Eastings: 347371
OS Northings: 462263
OS Grid: SD473622
Mapcode National: GBR 8PVK.FM
Mapcode Global: WH846.WC8R
Entry Name: Warehouse on Corner of Elm Street
Listing Date: 18 February 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195045
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383311
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD4762 ST GEORGE'S QUAY
1685-1/3/277 (South West side)
18/02/70 Warehouse on corner of Elm Street
Warehouse, now flats. c1760 converted c1986. Built in
conjunction with the neighbouring house, No.25 (qv). Coursed
roughly squared sandstone with ashlar dressings to the front,
and rendered rubble to side and rear. Slate roof with its
coped gable to the road. Approx 15m deep on plan behind a
facade which is approx 6m wide.
3 storeys above a cellar with raised quoins on the right and a
central loading slot which has a plain surround, as do all the
windows, and is flanked by a single-pane window on each floor
(originally these were masonry panels with a ventilation
slit). The loading slot now has a balcony on each floor. There
is no opening in the right half of the top floor, doubtless to
strengthen the wall by the crane, which survives in its
original wooden form. Below the right window a post box let
into the wall. The side wall is now rendered and is pierced by
a recent door and by windows on 3 storeys.
INTERIOR: when examined in 1985, prior to conversion into
flats, the original construction was visible, with softwood
beams measuring 340mm by 200mm spanning across the building
from corbels at 5 centres and 2 beams spanning back to front
in a rear room. Some of these beams on the ground floor bore
(apparently genuine) inscriptions: 'IA Apr 3 1760' and 'Isaac
Dixon 1773' written with (?) candle blacking, and 'TB 1778'
HISTORY: built on plot 35.
Listing NGR: SD4737162263
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings