This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0493 / 54°2'57"N
Longitude: -2.8025 / 2°48'8"W
OS Eastings: 347556
OS Northings: 461777
OS Grid: SD475617
Mapcode National: GBR 8PWM.26
Mapcode Global: WH846.XHN3
Entry Name: 25, Sun Street
Listing Date: 13 March 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195057
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383338
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD4761NE SUN STREET
1685-1/7/305 (East side)
Coach house, now part of printing works. Late C18, altered
early C19 and C20. Sandstone ashlar, with coursed rubble to
sides and rear, and slate roof. Double-depth plan with gable
chimney stacks, and a rear extension to the left.
3 storeys and 3 bays, 2 wide ones with a narrow one to the
right. A band between the ground and first floors and stone
gutter-brackets. The ground floor is composed of 2 arched
openings, now blocked and partly glazed, whose imposts form a
broken band and whose keystones rise to meet the band above
the ground floor. To the right is a narrow doorway, now with a
glazed door; the lower face of its lintel is hollowed to give
the appearance of a basket arch. All the windows have plain
reveals but recent joinery. Those above the arches have
concrete lintels. Masonry infill between the windows to the 2
upper windows in the left-hand bay suggests that there may
have been a loading slot here.
INTERIOR: ground floor originally open, with a staircase to
the first floor across the back wall.
HISTORY: marked on the 5 feet to one mile OS map, surveyed in
1845, as a police station, although built as a coach house on
the ground floor.
(Ordnance Survey: Map of Lancaster at Five Feet to One Mile:
Listing NGR: SD4757161789
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings