History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wery Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0515 / 54°3'5"N

Longitude: -2.8035 / 2°48'12"W

OS Eastings: 347491

OS Northings: 462022

OS Grid: SD474620

Mapcode National: GBR 8PVL.VD

Mapcode Global: WH846.XF5F

Entry Name: Wery Wall

Listing Date: 22 December 1953

Last Amended: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195059

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383345

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4762 VICARAGE LANE
1685-1/3/312 (East side (off))
22/12/53 Wery Wall
(Formerly Listed as:
BRIDGE LANE
Wery Wall)

II

Fragment of masonry from C4 fort. Sandstone rubble. An
irregular mass of masonry, standing approx 2m high above the
upper ground level, and built into the edge of a steep slope
which runs parallel with the River Lune.
HISTORY: the Wery Wall is mentioned as a boundary in documents
dating from C11 to C18, when its remains may have been more
extensive. Its Roman origins were confirmed by excavations
carried out in the early 1970s in advance of the adjacent
Mitre House development. It probably formed the core of a
polygonal external bastion at the north angle of a fort of the
'Saxon Shore' type which was constructed about AD 330 on a new
alignment. The associated ditch cut through an earlier bath
house which was also excavated, and its consolidated remains
are now exposed and adjoin the Wery Wall.
(Centre for North-West Regional Studies Occasional Papers:
White A & Shotter D: The Roman Fort and Town of Lancaster:
Lancaster: 1990-: 17, 27).


Listing NGR: SD4749162022

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.