This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0447 / 54°2'40"N
Longitude: -2.8152 / 2°48'54"W
OS Eastings: 346720
OS Northings: 461275
OS Grid: SD467612
Mapcode National: GBR 8PSN.BV
Mapcode Global: WH846.QLNM
Entry Name: Westbourne House
Listing Date: 13 March 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195060
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383349
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Marsh
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD46SE WESTBOURNE ROAD
1685-1/1/316 (South side)
House, now nursery school. 1882, altered C20. Mass concrete,
rendered and painted, with slate roofs.
2 storeys plus attic above cellars. Entrance front, facing
west, has 3-stage tower to the right under a slated pyramidal
tent roof. It is blind except for a narrow window on the
ground floor and has moulded string courses, and is decorated
with buttresses on the 1st floor and recessed panels with
lozenge decoration on the 2nd floor.
The main range, to the left, is of 2 bays and has a wide
projecting single-storey porch with a blind recess, a 2-light
mullioned window, and a right-hand doorway. Below the parapet
are square panels decorated with quatrefoils and rosettes.
The garden front, facing south, has a rectangular bay window
projection against lower storey of the tower, and 2 windows to
each of the upper storeys. To the right is a 2-storey canted
bay window below a gable.
INTERIOR: entrance hall has inscription 'EBD 1882' in mosaic
tiles. The staircase has turned balusters, and pitch-pine
handrails and newels. The newels are stop-chamfered and
terminate with 4 gablets surrounding a central knob. The
cellars have ample headroom, and the concrete of the walls is
visible in places.
HISTORY: built for a member of the Dawson family of Aldcliffe
Hall, who are said to have experimented with the use of
concrete for other buildings on their estate.
Listing NGR: SD4672061275
Other nearby listed buildings