This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0454 / 54°2'43"N
Longitude: -2.7811 / 2°46'51"W
OS Eastings: 348951
OS Northings: 461326
OS Grid: SD489613
Mapcode National: GBR 9P0N.PL
Mapcode Global: WH847.7LX3
Entry Name: The Palm House
Listing Date: 18 February 1970
Last Amended: 13 March 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195061
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383353
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: John O'Gaunt
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD4861 WILLIAMSON PARK
1685-1/5/320 The Palm House
(Formerly Listed as:
Palm House in Williamson Park)
Palm house, now butterfly house. c1909, damaged by fire 1949
and restored c1985. By Belcher and Joass. Brick on sandstone
plinth, with timber and metal glazing bars, and painted render
and timber columns and entablature. Rectangular plan, with a
convex hipped glass roof.
West facade symmetrical, with rusticated brick end piers, and
3 bays to each side of an open semicircular porch of 6 Tuscan
columns. The bays are separated by similar columns and contain
windows with glazing bars. The Doric entablature has urns
above each column. An attic, above the main cornice and below
the glazed roof, has circular glazed openings in each bay,
separated by pilasters, and a central Diocletian window.
Within the porch the front wall has 3 tall glazed openings,
the central one wider and containing the double doors, which
project forwards under a segmental pediment. Both return walls
are of 5 bays, with similar columns and entablature.
HISTORY: the Palm House was one of the improvements to
Williamson Park which Lord Ashton offered to pay for in 1904.
It stands opposite the entrance to the Ashton Memorial (qv),
which formed the main element of the scheme and which was
opened in 1909.
(Ashworth S: The Lino King: York: 1989-).
Listing NGR: SD4895161326
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings