History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lodge to Williamson Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0435 / 54°2'36"N

Longitude: -2.7848 / 2°47'5"W

OS Eastings: 348707

OS Northings: 461121

OS Grid: SD487611

Mapcode National: GBR 8PZP.W8

Mapcode Global: WH847.6M5J

Entry Name: Lodge to Williamson Park

Listing Date: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195062

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383357

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: John O'Gaunt

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Scotforth

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4861 WYRESDALE ROAD
1685-1/5/330 (East side)
Lodge to Williamson Park

GV II

Lodge. 1880. Squared coursed sandstone with slate roof. 2
storeys. The main part has a semi-octagonal front with 2 bays
facing forwards and one bay to each canted side. The windows
have sashes without glazing bars and are round-headed with a
moulded impost band on the ground floor, and on the 1st floor
have rebated surrounds and a sill band. Set back to the right
is a single-storey wing with a hipped roof which is carried
forwards over a timber porch which has arcaded round-headed
lights. Chimney on ridge of main house.
HISTORY: Williamson Park was laid out on the site of disused
quarries and moorland. Some development began during the
Cotton Famine of the 1860s, but large-scale development only
began during the 1870s when James Williamson (Senior) paid to
have the landscape developed to the designs of Mr Maclean of
Castle Donnington. James Williamson (Junior) handed the park
over to Lancaster Corporation in 1881.
(Ashworth S: The Lino King: York: 1989-).


Listing NGR: SD4870761121

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.