This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9272 / 50°55'37"N
Longitude: -2.9042 / 2°54'15"W
OS Eastings: 336548
OS Northings: 114579
OS Grid: ST365145
Mapcode National: GBR M9.PXQM
Mapcode Global: FRA 46TN.DD8
Entry Name: Nos 2 and 3 and Attached Railings, Gate Piers and Gates
Listing Date: 23 September 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195064
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383364
Location: Ilminster, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Ilminster
Built-Up Area: Ilminster
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Ilminster
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST3614 BAY HILL
1939-1/7/1 (North side)
23/09/50 Nos.2 AND 3
and attached railings, gate piers
Two lodges to Dillington House (qv). Early C19; probably
c1837, when Sir James Pennethorne was responsible for
extensive alterations to Dillington House. Ham Hill stone
ashlar with flat lead roofs and stone stacks to rear walls.
Each of hexagonal one-room plan. Gothic style.
2 storeys; symmetrical 3-window range. All windows have
pointed arches, dripmoulds with circular stops, 2-lights with
hollow-moulded Y-tracery to mullions, diamond leading with
margin panes to lower part and interlaced leading to the tops.
Similar dripmoulds over planked and studded doors, one to each
lodge, which face each other across the drive; similar blind
window above, with false painted leading, is flanked by
windows on each side of the canted bay formed by the hexagon.
String courses run at sill levels and below the moulded
INTERIORS: totally altered.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: The rear of each lodge is built into the
hillside and limestone rubble walls attached to the rear, up
to first-floor level, cant in toward the gates and act as
retaining wall. A low Ham Hill stone ashlar wall is attached
to the inside front (north) of each lodge with coping that
continues as the lower sill course, with plain railings. These
are connected to octagonal piers with octagonal swept domed
caps, and hold the closing catches of the side (pedestrian)
gates. To the centre of the drive is a pair of very tall
octagonal gate piers with rusticated shafts, dentilled
cornices, stepped caps with large acorns to the top in
octagonal cups. The gates are cast-iron Gothic-style; smaller,
outer gates sweep up from the height of the smaller outer
piers to their hinges on the tall inner ones. The upper rails
of the main, double gates curve downwards toward the centre;
the middle and lower rails are ornamented with bands of
quatrefoils, set in squares. Attached to the front (south) of
each lodge are railings of square section, with pointed tops;
similar tops are fixed to the highest, horizontal rail between
railings. These curve away from the drive, to east and west,
and enclose acute triangular-shaped forecourts of approx 45m
to the west and approx 30m to the east, each having a small
working access gate.
Listing NGR: ST3654814579
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings