This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.051 / 54°3'3"N
Longitude: -2.8047 / 2°48'16"W
OS Eastings: 347411
OS Northings: 461968
OS Grid: SD474619
Mapcode National: GBR 8PVL.LL
Mapcode Global: WH846.WFLS
Entry Name: Former Vicarage
Listing Date: 13 March 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195071
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383264
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD4761NW PRIORY CLOSE
1685-1/6/232 Former Vicarage
Former vicarage for the Priory Church of St Mary (qv), now an
office. 1848 altered C20. In an Elizabethan vernacular style.
Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings, and steeply-pitched
slate roofs with coped gables and kneelers. Double-depth plan
with 2 parallel ridges and, to the front, 2 cross-wings,
between which is the entrance, with a narrow one-bay extension
to the right which has a slightly more projecting cross-wing;
prominent chimney stacks on the outer wall of all the
2 storeys, plus cellars and attics, with a string course above
the ground floor, and 5 unequal bays. The gabled porch has
cross-windows in the sides and a Tudor-arched doorway under a
shield bearing the coat of arms of the Borough of Lancaster.
Above the porch is a bas-relief carved with a branch and a
scroll bearing the name of the builder, Joseph Turner, Vicar.
In the centre of the first floor is a 4-light mullioned and
transomed window under a relieving arch. This window is
repeated, but without the relieving arch, in a taller version
which projects slightly on both floors of the right-hand
cross-wing, while the left-hand cross-wing has a 5-light
mullioned and transomed window in a canted bay on both the
ground and first floors. The attics are lit, in the
cross-wings, by 2-light windows and, above the entrance, by a
2-light gabled dormer.
The cross-wing on the far right has mullioned and transomed
windows, of 4 lights on the ground floor and 3 lights on the
first floor, both set under relieving arches. The garden front
includes a projecting central gabled wing with a 2-storey
mullioned and transomed canted bay window.
Listing NGR: SD4741161968
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings