This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0503 / 54°3'1"N
Longitude: -2.7762 / 2°46'34"W
OS Eastings: 349280
OS Northings: 461869
OS Grid: SD492618
Mapcode National: GBR 9P1L.RV
Mapcode Global: WH847.BG8B
Entry Name: Eastern Mortuary Chapel at Lancaster Cemetery
Listing Date: 13 March 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195078
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383286
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: John O'Gaunt
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD46SE QUERNMORE ROAD
1685-1/1/251 (North side (off))
Eastern mortuary chapel at Lancaster
One of a group of 3 mortuary chapels (qv) built to serve
Lancaster Cemetery, which was opened in 1855; for
Nonconformists. By Edward Paley. Coursed squared sandstone
with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Gothic Revival style.
Cruciform plan, with an entrance porch facing west.
The chapel has angle buttresses, coped gables, and a
continuous string course at window sill level. The north and
south windows are triple stepped lancets with shafts and
hoodmoulds. The east gable has a wheel window. The porch has
arcaded openings in its north and south walls, each of 4
chamfered lancet arches with limestone shafts which have
foiliated capitals. The outer porch doorway is moulded and
pointed with the inner orders carried on foliated corbels. The
porch gable has a poppy head finial at its apex, and the main
gable above has a cross finial.
Listing NGR: SD4928061869
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings