History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Collaton St Mary School

A Grade II Listed Building in Blatchcombe, Torbay

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4306 / 50°25'50"N

Longitude: -3.6015 / 3°36'5"W

OS Eastings: 286351

OS Northings: 60198

OS Grid: SX863601

Mapcode National: GBR QR.DBCQ

Mapcode Global: FRA 37BX.BR0

Entry Name: Collaton St Mary School

Listing Date: 25 October 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195093

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383766

Location: Torbay, TQ3

County: Torbay

Electoral Ward/Division: Blatchcombe

Built-Up Area: Paignton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Collaton St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Paignton

Listing Text


PAIGNTON

SX86SE BLAGDON ROAD, Collaton St Mary
1947-1/2/170 (North East side)
Collaton St Mary School

GV II

School. c1866, probably designed by JW Rowell of Newton Abbot,
who also designed the parish church (qv), some C20
alterations.
MATERIALS: Local red snecked breccia; slate roof; stacks with
red breccia shafts , 2 retaining stone caps; crested ridge
tiles.
PLAN: T-plan, the main block containing two classrooms, heated
from gable end stacks, with one original entrance; heated rear
wing with a L roof plan.
EXTERIOR: Single storey. Asymmetrical 3-window front with a
gabled projecting porch with a round headed shouldered outer
doorway and a blind trefoil carved in the gable. 2 windows to
the right, one to the left, 3- and 4-light with stone mullions
and shoulder-headed lights. Probably C20 secondary door
inserted to right of porch. The rear wing also preserves 2
original windows in the same style as those on the front. C20
additions at west end and in north east corner.
INTERIOR: Plain, the original open roof trusses survive,
partly concealed by an inserted ceiling.
HISTORY: The school is part of a group of buildings promoted
by the Reverend John Roughton Hogg, who had the church built
by Rowell in 1867 to commemorate his daughter, Mary Hogg. It
was a church school until 1930 when it became a junior school
and was granted aided status in 1952 (Bovett).
(Buildings of England: Cherry B and Pevsner N: Devon: London:
1952-1989: 838; Bovett, Robert: Historical Notes on Devon
Schools: Devon: 1989-: P.244).


Listing NGR: SX8635160198

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.