History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gun Battery Approximately 10 Metres West of the Battery

A Grade II Listed Building in Brixham, Torbay

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4011 / 50°24'3"N

Longitude: -3.497 / 3°29'49"W

OS Eastings: 293703

OS Northings: 56760

OS Grid: SX937567

Mapcode National: GBR QY.F739

Mapcode Global: FRA 37KZ.PFT

Entry Name: Gun Battery Approximately 10 Metres West of the Battery

Listing Date: 18 October 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195167

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383535

Location: Brixham, Torbay, TQ5

County: Torbay

Civil Parish: Brixham

Built-Up Area: Brixham

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Brixham All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Brixham

Listing Text


BRIXHAM

SX95NW BERRY HEAD ROAD, Berry Head
1946-1/2/28 (North side)
Gun battery approx. 10m west of The
Battery (not included)

GV II

Gun battery, now converted to cottage and garage. 1830s (after
1832). Timber-frame, now clad with vertical planks. Hipped
felted roof. Small oblong building on cliff edge overlooking
the sea. Provision for 3 cannon with a store or shelter at
either end. 1 storey. Hinges of 3 large pairs of double doors
visible, of which only the right-hand door survives; this is
of vertical planking with strap-hinges. At each end was a
smaller door; that to right survives, similar in construction
to the larger door. Garage doors have been inserted in
right-hand section; late C20 glazed door and 2 windows in
cottage to left. On the seaward side the large timber uprights
of the gun-ports are visible externally. INTERIOR: only garage
inspected. Large timber posts carrying tie-beams exposed. Roof
of common rafters with collars fixed to face of each pair.
Original plank floor with iron ring for securing the gun. In
front of building a pavement of granite slabs and a further
iron ring. The foundations of another battery, also with iron
ring, are exposed in the garden to the west. This was the
Shoalstone Point Battery, probably erected following Colonel
Birch's report to the Board of Ordnance in 1832. It now stands
in the garden of a C20 bungalow called The Battery (not
included).
(Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Reports: Pye AR:
Berry Head Fort, Brixham: 1990-: 26).


Listing NGR: SX9370356760

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.