History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

United Reformed Church, Including Schoolrooms, Front Wall and Gates

A Grade II Listed Building in Brixham, Torbay

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3926 / 50°23'33"N

Longitude: -3.5148 / 3°30'53"W

OS Eastings: 292418

OS Northings: 55843

OS Grid: SX924558

Mapcode National: GBR QX.7NKB

Mapcode Global: FRA 38J0.8JB

Entry Name: United Reformed Church, Including Schoolrooms, Front Wall and Gates

Listing Date: 10 January 1975

Last Amended: 18 October 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195171

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383543

Location: Brixham, Torbay, TQ5

County: Torbay

Civil Parish: Brixham

Built-Up Area: Brixham

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Brixham All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Brixham

Listing Text


BRIXHAM

SX9255 BOLTON STREET, Lower Brixham
1946-1/7/133 (East side)
10/01/75 United Reformed Church, including
schoolrooms, front wall and gates
(Formerly Listed as:
BOLTON STREET
Congregational Chapel)

GV II

Congregational chapel. 1843-5, restored and altered 1872 and
1908. Schoolrooms probably a mid/late C19 addition. Stone
rubble; front of chapel and upper storey of schoolrooms
rendered. Slated roofs; schoolrooms hipped to front.
Chapel lies at right-angles to street with front lobby flanked
by staircases. Original or near-original galleries on 3 sides,
later extended behind the pulpit. Behind this is a recess with
organ, probably added in 1908. Set forward to right, and
linked to the chapel by a lobby, are the schoolrooms.
Chapel has a gabled, projecting centre with pointed-arched
doorway having a hoodmould. Above it a large round window,
also with hoodmould, filled with quatrefoiled tracery. Over it
is a very small quatrefoiled window. Flanking the centrepiece
are 2 pointed-arched doorways with matching single-light
windows above them. The corners are splayed and each contain a
similar pointed-arched window. Prominent eaves-cornice on
large shaped brackets, across the whole front. Schoolrooms
2-storeyed on a high battered plinth decorated with a single
course of red bricks. Each storey has 3 close-set
pointed-arched windows at the front, those in ground storey
with arches of alternating red and cream brick. A single
matching window in left side wall of ground storey. Rounded
stone sill-band in ground storey; similar band just above
window heads.
The buildings stand on a raised terrace with a small garden,
also raised, in front of it. Along the street frontage is a
rendered retaining-wall surmounted by a simple iron railing
(replaced after World War II). In the centre are 2 square gate
piers with elaborately scrolled iron gates (probably
original). Matching pier at each end of frontage with
intermediate pier to right of gates. There was originally a
further railing at rear of garden.
INTERIOR: galleries are carried on quatrefoil-section iron
columns; gallery fronts panelled with diagonal planking;
handrail raised on scrolled iron brackets. The pointed-arched
side-windows ignore the galleries, as if these were an
afterthought. In the upper end at either side, are 2 similar
windows, now painted over, with small-paned glazing, the heads
with pointed, intersecting arches. Panelled pulpit with open
quatrefoils at the top; steps up at either side with patterned
iron railings. Organ recess has pointed arch in alternating
red and yellow brick. Tie-beam roof-trusses infilled with
arcades of 4-centred arches. Schoolrooms plain with row of
simple iron columns down centre of ground storey.
(Gregory C: Brixham in Devonia: Totnes: 1896-: 52; Kelly's
Directories: Directory of Devonshire: 1910-: 106; Kelly's
Directories: Directory of Devonshire: 1923-: 107).


Listing NGR: SX9241855843

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.