This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3963 / 50°23'46"N
Longitude: -3.556 / 3°33'21"W
OS Eastings: 289499
OS Northings: 56319
OS Grid: SX894563
Mapcode National: GBR QT.VJ0M
Mapcode Global: FRA 38F0.4FK
Entry Name: Weary Ploughman Public House
Listing Date: 18 October 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195176
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383556
Location: Torbay, TQ5
Electoral Ward/Division: Churston-with-Galmpton
Built-Up Area: Paignton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Churston Ferrers St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX8956 BRIXHAM ROAD, Churston Ferrers
1946-1/4/49 (South West side)
Weary Ploughman Public House
Formerly known as: Churston Links Hotel BRIXHAM ROAD Churston
Shown on OS map as Churston Links Hotel.
Public house. Probably early 1860s. Solid rendered walls.
Hipped slated roof. Rendered chimneys with prominent flat
caps. Double-fronted, double-depth plan with secondary block
set back to left. 2 storeys. 3 windows wide with 2 further
windows in secondary block. Doorway flanked by Doric pilasters
supporting entablature. Windows have moulded architraves,
those in ground storey with friezes and cornices that reach to
the sills of the windows above. Barred sashes: 6 over 6 panes
in ground storey, 3 over 6 panes in second storey. Raised band
at cornice-level in ground storey. Deep flat eaves-cornice.
Right side wall is similar; centre doorway with raised moulded
surround and entablature. Barred sashes in left-hand window of
each storey. Left side wall has 1 window of the same design
per storey; also with barred sashes, except for the upper sash
in ground storey. Secondary block (which lies nearest Brixham
Road) is similar to the main building, but with plain window
surrounds; barred sashes in front and left side walls.
INTERIOR: only public rooms in ground storey inspected; these
have been considerably altered. The building adjoins Churston
Station and was presumably the Station Hotel mentioned in
directories from 1866 onwards. The station, originally known
as Brixham Road, was on the Dartmouth and Torbay Railway and
was opened in 1861. The Torbay and Brixham Railway, which ran
from here to Brixham, was opened in 1868.
(MacDermot ET: History of the Great Western Railway: 1964-:
125, 183; Kelly: Directory of Devonshire: 1866-: 763).
Listing NGR: SX8949956319
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings