History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Summerrods and Attached Walls and Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Ilminster, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9285 / 50°55'42"N

Longitude: -2.916 / 2°54'57"W

OS Eastings: 335720

OS Northings: 114735

OS Grid: ST357147

Mapcode National: GBR M9.PT6N

Mapcode Global: FRA 46SN.7SV

Entry Name: Summerrods and Attached Walls and Railings

Listing Date: 23 September 1950

Last Amended: 24 January 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195187

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383485

Location: Ilminster, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Ilminster

Built-Up Area: Ilminster

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Ilminster

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Ilminster

Listing Text


ILMINSTER

ST3414 STATION ROAD
1939-1/6/126 (South side)
23/09/50 No.7
Summerods and attached walls and
railings
(Formerly Listed as:
STATION ROAD
(South side)
No.7)
(Formerly Listed as:
STATION ROAD
(South side)
Wall and 2 gate piers attached to
east side of No.7)

GV II

House. 1790-1800. Ham Hill stone ashlar to the front and rough
ashlar to the rear. Double-pitch slate roof with rendered
stacks to gable ends and centre of rear range. Double-depth
plan with C19 additions to each side.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, with basement to the rear; symmetrical
3-window range. Moulded cornice below parapet wall; steps up
to a late C19 enclosed gabled glazed porch over a 6-panel door
with ornamental fanlight. Above is a round-arched 6/6-pane
sash with intersecting glazing bars to the top, set in a
reeded archivolt with keystone and imposts. Other windows are
6/6-pane sashes with moulded architraves and C19 balconettes
with palmette motifs, except those to the basement which have
10/10-panes.
The rear has a full-height semicircular stair turret to the
centre with a large ornamental vase to the top attached to a
rail which runs round the turret. The land falls away to the
south, so the ground floor on the street side (north) becomes
the first floor to the rear; an entrance at this level is
served by sweeping stone staircases to each side, down to the
garden.
To the left return (east) is a late C19 two-storey lean-to
extension which has a 2-light casement to the first-floor
front, 2- and 3-light casements to the side and a door to the
right. This extension has 3 storeys to the rear. To the right
return (west) is a ground-floor and basement lean-to with its
front wall swept up to the house and C20 metal casement
windows to both floors.
INTERIOR: little altered and very complete. Large stairhall
with open-well open-string staircase with fret-cut brackets,
wreathed mahogany rail, and curtail-step around a turned
newel. Ground-floor reception rooms have reeded cornices,
dado-rail and panelling below; room to the right has a late
C19 marble fireplace and stiff-leaf embellishment to the
cornice. All doors are 6-panel with inset beading to all
panels including those of the shutters. First floor has
elliptical arches on landing, and C18 stone fireplaces with
plain surrounds and rolled edges, some with later accretions.
Attic has wide floorboards and a planked door. Collar-truss
roof with butted purlins; lead through-gutter from central
valley to the front. The basement is stone-flagged.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: a low wall to the left sweeps up to the
house; tapered square-section railings enclose the forecourts,
mount the central steps and ramp up to the door. Flanking the
porch and attached to the railings are flat trellised piers,
probably lampholders. A high rubblestone wall, attached to the
right (west), runs approx 100m southwards, sweeping then
stepping down the hill.
Attached wall and piers to left listed 29.7.76.


Listing NGR: ST3572014735

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.