This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9287 / 50°55'43"N
Longitude: -2.9186 / 2°55'7"W
OS Eastings: 335536
OS Northings: 114766
OS Grid: ST355147
Mapcode National: GBR M9.PSG9
Mapcode Global: FRA 46SN.6SQ
Entry Name: The Hermitage and Attached Pier and Walls
Listing Date: 23 September 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195188
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383487
Location: Ilminster, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Ilminster
Built-Up Area: Ilminster
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Ilminster
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST3414 STATION ROAD
1939-1/6/128 (South side)
The Hermitage and attached pier and
House. Mid C16 origins, mostly c1840. Coursed limestone
rubble; pantile roof with stone coping and moulded kneelers;
brick stacks to right-of-centre, left gable end and rear
right. 3-unit lobby-entrance main block with single-storey
wing to rear right.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attic; 4-window range. The C20
planked door, above the road to right-of-centre, has a flat
stone porch on brackets, steps up from the left, and is
flanked by 3-light casements. The first floor has a 2-light
casement to the far left, and three 3-light ones to centre and
right. Those to the far right have 2 panes to each light,
others are leaded. The right return has a C17 stone mullioned
window to each floor, 3-light to the attic, and 4-light ones
below, all with hoodmoulds.
INTERIOR: There is an inglenook fireplace with an oak lintel
to the main room, otherwise mostly of c1840 character; some
6-panel doors, some 4-panel; Regency-style fireplace and
cornice to the main bedroom.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached to the south-west corner of the
house is an early/mid C19 semicircular archway to the garden
with beaded arrises and reeded imposts; continuing southwards
is approx 40m of high limestone rubble wall with Ham Hill
stone coping; a tall Ham Hill stone gate pier with a pyramidal
cap at the corner where the wall turns to enclose the south
side of the garden; this stretch of approx 30m has large C19
buttresses on the outside; the wall continues along the east
side approx 30m. C20 gate to the arch and two C20 garages to
the southerly end of the street wall.
HISTORY: a cottage called The Hermitage was recorded standing
on the site in 1540-1. The house was the residence of George P
R Pulman (d.1880), author of The Book of The Axe, a history of
the towns on that river. Between 1849 and 1851 he issued the
United Counties Miscellany, was editor of the Yeovil Times, in
1857 founded the first newspaper in Crewkerne, Pulman's Weekly
News and Advertiser. It was printed by hand for over a year
until the first printing machine was brought into the town,
and in 1862 steam power was installed.
Listing NGR: ST3553614766
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings