History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Welsleyan Methodist Church and Church Room

A Grade II Listed Building in Ilminster, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9283 / 50°55'41"N

Longitude: -2.9151 / 2°54'54"W

OS Eastings: 335781

OS Northings: 114716

OS Grid: ST357147

Mapcode National: GBR M9.PTHR

Mapcode Global: FRA 46SN.855

Entry Name: Welsleyan Methodist Church and Church Room

Listing Date: 24 January 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195193

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383506

Location: Ilminster, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Ilminster

Built-Up Area: Ilminster

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Ilminster

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Ilminster

Listing Text


ILMINSTER

ST3414 WEST STREET
1939-1/6/144 (South side)
Wesleyan Methodist Church and Church
Room

GV II

Methodist church and church room. Dated 1887. Coursed
limestone rubble with freestone dressings and crested slate
roof. Vigorous Decorated Gothic Revival style.
EXTERIOR: Facade of the church is symmetrical; the
forward-facing gable has a crocketed finial, moulded and
corbelled kneelers, buttresses to the sides and, in the apex,
3 small pointed-arch louvres grouped under one dripmould; a
string course divides this from a rose window flanked by, and
grouped with, two 3-light pointed-arch windows with
geometrical tracery; a dripmould follows the contours of the 3
windows and continues horizontally at springer-level; a
central gabled entrance breaks through the base of the windows
and the upper part of it reflects the design of the gable
above; a pointed-arch moulding with a recessed trefoiled
circle in the tympanum contains double doors under a
shouldered arch.
Side wings, gabled to east and west, have similar but smaller
gabled entrances linked to the central entrance, the left
typanum has "A.D." in it, and the right one has "1887"; all 3
are connected by lean-to sections with stone roofs, each with
a 2-light mullioned window.
The spire, to the rear of the right-hand door, is broached,
with a crocketed finial and small gabled niches on the
diagonal facets near to the top; similar taller louvred ones
near the base, and 3-sided ones with crocketed finials to the
corners of the base. The wall below it, and the set-back
buttresses, are offset; it contains a lancet window with
moulded pointed arch and colonnettes. The door to the left
(west) is in front of a hipped-roofed wing with a canted bay
and lancet windows. 5 bays to side elevation, segmental arches
to mullioned and transomed windows.
The Church Room to left (west) has a hipped slate roof.
U-shape plan. 2 cross-gables to the front-left; the left-hand
gable has a circular window in the apex and 2 pointed-arch
windows with hoodmoulds below; ground floor has 2-light
windows with flat arches. Gable to the right has one similar
3-light window with similar flat-arch ones below. To the right
is a 2-storey pointed-arch 2-light window with stone mullions
but without a dripmould. The entrance is to the right through
a lower wing. All gable ends have terracotta scroll finials.
INTERIOR: Virtually unchanged, with a polychromatic tiled
floor to the entrance, cast-iron columns supporting the
gallery. Moulded corbels, flanked by smaller ones, support the
roof trusses. Gothic-style pointed-arched panelling to almost
all the woodwork, including the gallery-front, communion-rail
and the central pulpit to the south end with stairs to each
side; original pews to nave and re-positioned ones in the
gallery; doors have chamfered arrisses to the panels and
cross-joints to the architraves; and coloured glass in the
windows. The Church Room, said to have been the site of the
original church, was rebuilt in a similar style.


Listing NGR: ST3578114716

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.