This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4483 / 50°26'53"N
Longitude: -3.5772 / 3°34'37"W
OS Eastings: 288117
OS Northings: 62127
OS Grid: SX881621
Mapcode National: GBR QS.KBKM
Mapcode Global: FRA 37DV.VM9
Entry Name: Shorton Manor
Listing Date: 10 January 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195241
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383853
Location: Torbay, TQ3
Electoral Ward/Division: Preston
Built-Up Area: Paignton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Paignton Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX86SE SHORTON ROAD
1947-1/2/84 (West side)
10/01/75 Shorton Manor
House. Late C16 or earlier origins, alterations of the early
C19 and c1880; C20 renovations.
MATERIALS: Local red breccia rubble with modern pointing;
asbestos slate roof, gabled at left end, peaked over right end
tower; stacks with rendered shafts.
PLAN: Main block has a single-depth, 3-room plan, although the
position of the original cross passage is uncertain. A rear
door survives to right of centre; the front door, to left of
centre, is another possible position, with evidence for the
position of a former stair opposite. 2 rear right lateral
stacks, left end stack. Rear left heated wing at right-angles
with an end stack. The house was thoroughly altered in the
C19, the pitch of the roof changed and the first floor height
raised. In c1880 the right-hand end of the house was raised to
a 3-storey tower, typical of the late Italianate Torquay
villas, but preserving the stump of the rear right-hand
EXTERIOR: 2-storey main block, 3-storey tower. Asymmetrical
4:3-window front. The main block, to the left, has deep eaves.
Late C20 lean-to porch with slated roof to left of centre.
6-panel door, the upper panels glazed, the lower panels
fielded but with later panels applied on top. 4 ground and 3
first-floor plastic windows with diamond-leaded panes.
Conservatory with plastic windows added to left end projects
to the front. The 3-storey tower, to the right, has deep eaves
on curved brackets. 2 plastic windows on the ground floor. The
narrow first and 2nd floor windows are original. 3 first-floor
square-headed one over one-pane horned sashes; 3 similar
2nd-floor round-headed windows. The right return of the tower
preserves its original 2nd-floor round-headed sash windows.
Windows on other elevations are late C20 plastic replacements.
The rear elevation includes a boarded door under a pent roof
with an adjacent pump.
INTERIOR: Preserves a plank and muntin oak screen partition to
the centre room from the left-hand room. Fireplace to centre
room lateral stack with C20 chimney-piece, old fireplace
behind discovered during renovations had no original lintel
but bread oven opening preserved. Line of earlier, steeper,
gabled roof noticed during renovations when the plaster was
removed from the left gable end.
HISTORY: Research by the owner in the PRO indicated a date of
1567 for the building. In c1919 it was bought by the Singer
family and the estate was sold off in lots which were later
Listing NGR: SX8811762127
Other nearby listed buildings