This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4695 / 50°28'10"N
Longitude: -4.7363 / 4°44'10"W
OS Eastings: 205920
OS Northings: 66879
OS Grid: SX059668
Mapcode National: GBR N2.MTDY
Mapcode Global: FRA 07ZT.6NH
Entry Name: Former St Lawrence's Hospital
Listing Date: 8 June 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195283
English Heritage Legacy ID: 368051
Location: Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31
Civil Parish: Bodmin
Built-Up Area: Bodmin
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Bodmin
Church of England Diocese: Truro
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/05/2012
WESTHEATH AVENUE (A389)
Former St Lawrence's Hospital
(Formerly listed as St Lawrence's Hospital)
Former Hospital. 1818. By John Foulston. Extended c1838 by George
Wightwick and in later C19.
MATERIALS: squared pink stone to front of later entrance wing,
otherwise rubble walls with plinth, mid-floor string and
segmental arches; coursed stone to late C19 additions at ends
of wings; dry slate roof to front wing, otherwise mostly rag
slate: central polygonal roof with central brick stack and
radiating wings with hipped returns at ends and axial brick
stacks; small octagonal roof, presumably for parapet stairs,
fronting the rear wing.
PLAN: large panoptical plan with 6 original deep radial wings
all with later C19 additions at the ends; between the front
wings is a tapered entrance addition with segmental ends to
the front part linked to flanking quadrant walls.
EXTERIOR: original hornless sashes with glazing bars except
for original latticed oriels to central block between wings or
flanking the central block and some later sashes to additions.
Symmetrical 1:3:1-window range entrance block has granite
plinth and stucco pilasters to round-arched ground-floor
openings, moulded architraves to segmental-arched 1st-floor
openings with moulded sills on brackets and moulded eaves
entablature; moulded cast-iron gutters. 3 linked sashes over
tripartite loggia fronting central 4-panel door and spoked
fanlight flanked by sashes with fanlight heads. Some of the
wings have last 3 bays surmounted by a triangular pediment.
Between most of the wings survive the original symmetrical
2-window fronts of the central building, with 1st-floor oriels
and central doorways flanked by wide sashes.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
A notable and relatively unaltered example of an early C19
hospital built on the panoptical plan.
(Colvin H: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects
1600-1840: 1978-: 319; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and
Radcliffe E: Cornwall: 1970-: 43).
Listing NGR: SX0592066879
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings