History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Townsend House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bodmin, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4693 / 50°28'9"N

Longitude: -4.7356 / 4°44'8"W

OS Eastings: 205963

OS Northings: 66850

OS Grid: SX059668

Mapcode National: GBR N2.MTMH

Mapcode Global: FRA 07ZT.6X9

Entry Name: Townsend House

Listing Date: 16 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195284

English Heritage Legacy ID: 368052

Location: Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Bodmin

Built-Up Area: Bodmin

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Bodmin

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Bodmin

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/05/2012


629-1/1/111
16-MAR-88


BODMIN
WESTHEATH AVENUE
(North side)
TOWNSEND HOUSE
A389
(North side)
Townsend House


(Formerly listed as Townsend House at St Lawrence's Hospital)


II


Former hospital manager's house built in 1838 and designed by George Wightwick. In 1898 porch and rear extension added for the Asylum Board by Silvanus Trevail.
Two storyed coursed and squared polychrome stone building with granite plinth, sills and mid-floor string; shallow freestone segmental arches; rag slate hipped roof with projecting eaves on brackets, 2 brick axial stacks. Double-depth L-shaped plan with a regular 3-window front. Original 12-pane hornless sashes. Central doorway with C20 glazed and panelled door within late C19 flat-roofed glazed transomed porch with moulded cornice and moulded corners and frames; later lean-to conservatory on its right. Far right is wide doorway with pair of cast-iron latticed doors. Right-hand return (facing road) has brick 4-centred arched doorway with framed and planked door on left and an original sash over late C19 canted bay window with horned sashes within moulded architraves. Left-hand return has original 1st-floor sash and 4-panel door. Rear has original sashes and a 4-panel door.
INTERIOR: not inspected except to note open-string staircase with stick balusters and mahogany handrail scrolled over newel, moulded ceiling cornice to entrance hall and slatted shelves on turned legs in porch.

Sources:- Colvin H: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840: London: 1978-: 890).
CRO AD396/557/131

Listing NGR: SX0596466853

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.