This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7564 / 52°45'23"N
Longitude: 0.4231 / 0°25'23"E
OS Eastings: 563615
OS Northings: 320396
OS Grid: TF636203
Mapcode National: GBR N3R.5S1
Mapcode Global: WHJP1.GZP8
Entry Name: Church of St Faith
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195311
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384107
Location: King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE30
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Town: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Electoral Ward/Division: Gaywood Chase
Built-Up Area: King's Lynn
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
TF62SW GAYTON ROAD, Gaywood
610-1/1/282 (South side)
01/12/51 Church of St Faith
Parish church. Norman origins, west tower c1370, when
remainder rebuilt, transepts reworked late C16. Chancel
re-roofed 1909, transepts restored, vestry and south chancel
chapel added, by WD Caroe. 1923-26 nave rebuilt and aisles
added. South-west nave chapel 1989.
Brick with ashlar dressings. Plain tiled roofs.
3-stage west tower, with diagonal stepped buttresses.
Y-tracery west window. Slit lights to ringing chamber and
cusped 2-light belfry windows. Crenellated parapet. Stair
turret to south-east. North porch rebuilt in stone 1923-26
re-using Norman arch. One order of shafts with scalloped
capitals. Inner arch with incised beakhead decoration, outer
with chevron. Nailhead in hood mould. Inner doorway with
double wave mouldings. Two 3-light panel tracery aisle
windows. Gabled aisle roofs. Gabled transepts now engaged by
aisles, with kneelers and 2-light Y-tracery north and south
windows, the latter cusped and C14.
North chancel with large vestry. South chancel with 1909
red-brick chapel terminating to east in a concave gable above
a round-headed window with square hood. Remainder of chancel
rendered. 2-light cusped C14 Y-tracery south window. 3-light
reticulated east window, also cusped.
INTERIOR. 4-bay arcade of 1923-26: lozenge piers and 4-centred
arches. Barrel-vaulted timber nave roof. Chancel roof with
arched braces to collars, 1909. West tower arch triple
chamfered. Octagonal late C14 font, the stem with 2-light
cinquefoiled tracery to each facet. Mouldings lead up to bowl
with alternating facets of encircled tracery and C17
inscriptions. Two C17 painted panels in south aisle: one of
Queen Elizabeth arriving in Tilbury with the Spanish Armada in
the background experiencing difficulties at the hands of the
English, the other of the discovery of the Gunpowder plot.
Bequeathed by the rector, Thomas Hare, who died in 1634.
(These not closely examined as covered at time of Review).
Listing NGR: TF6361520396
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings