This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8004 / 52°48'1"N
Longitude: -2.1157 / 2°6'56"W
OS Eastings: 392298
OS Northings: 322540
OS Grid: SJ922225
Mapcode National: GBR 16X.KWM
Mapcode Global: WHBDT.GWR1
Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of St Austin
Listing Date: 17 December 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195332
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384056
Location: Stafford, Staffordshire, ST17
Electoral Ward/Division: Forebridge
Built-Up Area: Stafford
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Stafford St Paul, Forebridge
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ9222NW WOLVERHAMPTON ROAD
590-1/11/102 (North West side)
17/12/71 Roman Catholic Church of St Austin
Catholic church. 1862. By Edward Welby Pugin. Brick with blue
brick diapering and ashlar dressings; tile roof.
PLAN: 5-bay nave and lean-to aisles with east chapels flanking
short chancel; north-west turret; south-east sacristy.
EXTERIOR: canted E end has gabled 2-light windows; chapels
have 2-light windows to east and return; aisles have 3-light
windows; clerestory has spherical triangle windows;
Geometrical tracery. West facade has ashlar banding and some
brick diaper and crosses, pointed entrance to centre left end,
each with moulded arch and paired plank doors with strap
hinges; 5-light W window with small vesica window above;
turret to left is flush with facade and shows signs of
re-construction, plain parapet, pointed louvred bell openings
and short needle spire with metal cladding; coped gable with
INTERIOR: arch-braced roofs, part ceiled, part painted;
chancel has richly coloured tiles below sill level and narrow
2-bay arcades to chapels; nave has 4-bay arcades with marble
piers, simple capitals and moulded arches, west gallery with
organ and arcaded balcony front.
FITTINGS: High Altar has roundels between marble shafts, rich
pulpit has ogee panels with relief scenes between canopied
figures, similar desk has tracery panels and deep cornice;
side altars have relief panels and figures of the Virgin and
Child and the Sacred Heart; font has quatrefoils to sides with
instruments of the Passion, C20 glazed screen beneath gallery.
STAINED GLASS: C19 and C20 glass to N; E windows by Hardman; W
window has C16 Flemish glass, presumably that which was
installed in church of 1818, now demolished, by Lord Stafford.
(Staffordshire Catholic History: Catholic Chapels in
Staffordshire: 1974-: 429; Buildings of England: Pevsner N and
Nairn J: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: 249).
Listing NGR: SJ9229822540
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings