This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7495 / 52°44'58"N
Longitude: 0.3994 / 0°23'57"E
OS Eastings: 562040
OS Northings: 319570
OS Grid: TF620195
Mapcode National: GBR N3Q.RR7
Mapcode Global: WHJP7.35F1
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195345
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384091
Location: King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE30
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Town: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Electoral Ward/Division: St Margarets with St Nicholas
Built-Up Area: King's Lynn
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
TF6219NW CHURCH LANE
610-1/10/35 (North side)
01/12/51 Church of All Saints
Parish Church, the earliest in Lynn. C11, rebuilt C14 and C15.
West tower collapsed 1763.
Carstone, flint and brick with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs.
Nave, nave aisles, transepts and chancel. Windows are
replacements. West nave wall in gault brick, 1763. Bell cote
over gable. 3-light Perpendicular window. 2-light
Perpendicular aisle west windows. Stepped buttresses to nave
aisles with 3-light Perpendicular windows. Doorways in second
bay to north and south sides.
Clerestory with chequer flushwork and parapets. Four 2-light
clerestory windows under 4-centred arches.
Transepts retain C13 fragments, especially to south. 3-light
main windows, again with tracery trying to look genuinely
Perpendicular, but failing.
North chancel with a gabled vestry and a window to its east.
South chancel was site of an anchorite cell in C13, of which
scars remain. Two 2-light windows. At east end of south side a
small gabled structure may have associations with the cell.
3-light chancel east window.
INTERIOR. 4-bay Perpendicular arcade with moulded arches
standing on elaborated piers. Piers have filleted engaged
columns to east and west, and polygonal columns to north and
Screen to west end formed of 6 painted C17 panels depicting
Apostles, relocated from St Peter's, West Lynn. Over screen is
a C20 gallery. C15 four-bay nave roof of hollow-chamfered tie
beams on arched braces dropping to wall posts and stone
corbels. Pierced tracery spandrels.
King and Queen posts rise to principals and one tier butt
purlins. Late C20 rood screen. C19 hammerbeam roof to chancel.
Octagonal C15 font on C19 stem, the bowl panels alternating
between tracery and cusping. C15 three-bay sedilia in chancel
south wall, each seat recess with a cusped and sub-cusped
arched head within square surround. Piscina to east similar.
Listing NGR: TF6204019570
Other nearby listed buildings