This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8018 / 52°48'6"N
Longitude: -2.1106 / 2°6'38"W
OS Eastings: 392640
OS Northings: 322694
OS Grid: SJ926226
Mapcode National: GBR 288.77D
Mapcode Global: WHBDT.KT5Z
Entry Name: St Joseph's Convent South East Building
Listing Date: 16 January 1951
Last Amended: 16 February 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195357
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384005
Location: Stafford, Staffordshire, ST17
Electoral Ward/Division: Forebridge
Built-Up Area: Stafford
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Stafford St Paul, Forebridge
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ9222NE LICHFIELD ROAD
590-1/12/59 (South West side)
16/01/51 St Joseph's Convent south-east
(Formerly Listed as:
St Joseph's Convent)
Formerly known as: Forebridge Villa LICHFIELD ROAD.
House, now convent. c1810 with later additions. Regency style.
MATERIALS: stucco with ashlar dressings; hipped slate roof
with stucco stacks.
PLAN: double-depth, central staircase plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; symmetrical 5-window range. Wide eaves
with scrolled brackets. 2-storey porch has portico with paired
baseless columns, frieze with scrolled relief carving and
cross to pediment, front steps have flanking scrolled
prjections; round-headed entrance has architrave and fanlight
over door with 2 tall round-headed panels; stained glass
return windows. Windows have sills, those to ground floor have
16-pane sashes, those to 1st floor with 4/8-pane sashes but
central window has simple architrave and small-paned casement.
3-window left return has recessed centre with canted angles
and entrance with consoled cornice and rich cresting; similar
cornices and cresting to flanking ground floor windows,
central 1st floor window has balcony with Greek key;
Right return has rectangular oriel raised above eaves on
enriched brackets, with wide bracketed eaves and C20
Rear has single-storey wing, and later 3-storey wing with
cast-iron verandah with Tudor arches and quatrefoils; late C20
lift shaft with pyramidal roof.
INTERIOR has rich Greek detail: cornices and doorcases with
architraves, enriched friezes and consoled cornices;
full-height hall has balcony with balustrading and skylight,
stair to rear has iron anthemion balusters and window with
painted glass roundel; entrance hall has contemporary painted
glass with arms of original owner.
HISTORY: the house was taken over by the Sisters of St Joseph
of Cluny in 1907.
(Victoria County History of Staffordshire: Greenslade MW: A
History of Stafford (taken from VCH): London: 1979-: 251;
Victoria County History of Staffordshire: Greenslade MW: A
History of Stafford (VCH): London: 1979-: 251).
Listing NGR: SJ9264022694
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings