History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lloyds Bank

A Grade II Listed Building in Stafford, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8075 / 52°48'27"N

Longitude: -2.1169 / 2°7'0"W

OS Eastings: 392215

OS Northings: 323335

OS Grid: SJ922233

Mapcode National: GBR 16Q.ZKX

Mapcode Global: WHBDT.GP5K

Entry Name: Lloyds Bank

Listing Date: 16 January 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195358

English Heritage Legacy ID: 384009

Location: Stafford, Staffordshire, ST16

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford

Town: Stafford

Electoral Ward/Division: Forebridge

Built-Up Area: Stafford

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Stafford St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Stafford

Listing Text


STAFFORD

SJ9223SW MARKET SQUARE
590-1/10/63 (East side)
16/01/51 No.5
Lloyds Bank
(Formerly Listed as:
MARKET SQUARE
Premises occupied by Lloyd's Bank)

GV II

Bank. c1795 with alterations and additions of c1860. For
Stevenson, Salt and Co. Double-depth plan. Classical style.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; 2-window range with 3-window range
projecting to right. Wide 1st floor sill band and deep top
modillioned cornice with blocking course; ground floor to
right end has channelled rustication to ground floor and
rusticated quoins above. Ground floor has round-headed
windows, 2 to left with hollow-chamfered openings, one
originally entrance, 2 windows to right end have rusticated
voussoirs flush with rustication and fielded-panelled aprons,
to right of similar entrance; plate glass with some etching.
1st floor has windows with eared architraves and 18-pane
sashes; 2nd floor has square windows with architraves and
6-pane sashes. Sill band to right end inscribed: OLD BANK. 2
ashlar stacks with modillioned cornices. Right return 3-window
range has similar details.
INTERIOR: pilasters with large consoles to beams.
HISTORY: noted as being the earliest branch of Lloyds bank
outside London; the bank was founded in 1737 and incorporated
in Lloyds Bank in 1866.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Nairn J: Staffordshire:
London: 1974-: 244-5).


Listing NGR: SJ9221723343

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.