This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7512 / 52°45'4"N
Longitude: 0.3956 / 0°23'44"E
OS Eastings: 561779
OS Northings: 319758
OS Grid: TF617197
Mapcode National: GBR N3Q.JTW
Mapcode Global: WHJP7.13NP
Entry Name: 12-20, Priory Lane
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195412
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384238
Location: King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE30
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Town: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Electoral Ward/Division: St Margarets with St Nicholas
Built-Up Area: King's Lynn
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
TF6119NE PRIORY LANE
610-1/9/171 (North side)
01/12/51 Nos.12-20 (Consecutive)
Monastic range belonging to the Benedictine Priory of St
Margaret. C14, but main work C15 possibly associated with
accounts of a new hall 1445-48. Altered C18, restored and
divided into 6 dwellings 1974-5. Brick, ashlar and carstone.
Plain tiled roof.
2 storeys. To right of elevation is a rebuilt stone arch to
rear with hollow and wave mouldings. Fenestration somewhat
irregulaly disposed and mostly renewed cross casements. One to
east end at first floor is set within a 4-centred recess. Hall
firestack corbelled out at first-floor level to right of
archway with, to its right, a trefoil cusped 2-light window. 3
other stone single-light windows evident elsewhere. Under hall
stack is a blocked timber doorway. 7 other blocked doorways at
intervals. Gabled roof with 8 stacks on or just off ridge
To west end is a lower, hipped, 2-storey pantiled attachment
of late C17. One window to each floor with glazing bars.
Single-storey extension has a door and a lap-glazed window to
its right. Rear (north) elevation. Archway becomes more
depressed than 4-centred. One C17 door to its right with an
overlight. Various renewed or restored ashlar lancets.
No.18 has a large depressed arch to ground floor, filled with
a window and a door. Above are two 4-centred recesses. First
floor of No.17 has two 2-light cusped windows to former hall
with a single cusped window to their right. No.19 with one
2-light and one 4-light transomed window with chamfered stone
INTERIOR. Only partly inspected. First-floor hall plan is
probably an alteration to original open hall arrangement.
Fireplaces all large and open, not earlier than C16. At east
end the internal ground-floor fireplace bressumer has incised
graffiti of a Latin cross.
Whole range originally with a crown post roof. At east end
this is of a square section crown posts with tension braces
dropping from post to tie beam. From centre of tie beam, close
to foot of crown posts, intersecting arched braces rise to
principal rafters, which are not enlarged as such. Crown
braces to collar purlin only. Date of c1445 probably accurate.
Listing NGR: TF6177919758
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings