This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7511 / 52°45'4"N
Longitude: 0.3951 / 0°23'42"E
OS Eastings: 561745
OS Northings: 319746
OS Grid: TF617197
Mapcode National: GBR N3Q.JPJ
Mapcode Global: WHJP7.13DR
Entry Name: 2, Nelson Street
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Last Amended: 26 July 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195431
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384207
Location: King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE30
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Town: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Electoral Ward/Division: St Margarets with St Nicholas
Built-Up Area: King's Lynn
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
TF6119NE NELSON STREET
610-1/9/139 (East side)
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.2 AND 4)
Formerly known as: Nos.2 AND 4 The Valiant Sailor (2) (Public
House) NELSON STREET.
Shop and house, formerly a public house, now wholly domestic
Constructed on the site of buildings relating to St Margaret's
Priory, cleared at the Reformation. 1540-50.
Timber-framed with brick. Rendered and colourwashed. Plain
tiled roof to south, slate to north, the division marking a
change in roof heights.
2 storeys and dormer attic on a curved site.
Panelled door to right with an overlight leads into No 4. Two
further doors to west elevation and sashes with glazing bars
at intervals. Deep coved jetty is plastered. At north-west
corner is an exposed moulded dragon post, with, behind it, a
C16 timber panel with carved figures, possibly representing
the Annunciation. Jetty continues into north return above the
former public house facade: 5 pilaster strips containing a
sealed doorway and casements.
First-floor fenestration of sashes with glazing bars and,
towards north end, one 4-light diamond-mullioned timber window
with a King mullion. Gabled roof to south, hipped to north. 2
gabled dormers in south roof. Ridge stack at division of
roofs. C20 stack on line of east (rear) wall at north end. The
rear with whitewashed brick to ground floor, heavy scantling
timber studs to first floor. Arched braces and brick nogging.
Various casements and sashes.
INTERIOR. Ground floor main room (to north and west) with 2
massive plain bridging beams running north-south, obliquely
scarf-jointed. Square dragon beam to north-west corner. West
wall retains 3 blocked openings to shop arcade formed by
inserting knuckle braces between principal studs and middle
rail. Above middle rail secondary studs define additional
panels. Arcade openings with jambs rebated for shutters. Over
outer 2 arcade openings the upper panels are also rebated for
shutters. To right of arcade 2 hinge posts survive for a
former door. This arcade said to have extended to south end of
facade, as is likely. The first floor is rich with
Roof over north part of house as far south as the ridge stack
is all replaced. Roof to south end rebuilt on an outer and
higher line, explaining the differing heights seen from the
exterior. Some principal rafters of original structure
survive, but rebuilding and re-use of extraneous timbers
prevent a coherent identification of roof-type.
Listing NGR: TF6174519746
Other nearby listed buildings