History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

9, Nelson Street

A Grade II* Listed Building in King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7509 / 52°45'3"N

Longitude: 0.3951 / 0°23'42"E

OS Eastings: 561746

OS Northings: 319722

OS Grid: TF617197

Mapcode National: GBR N3Q.JPM

Mapcode Global: WHJP7.13DX

Entry Name: 9, Nelson Street

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195434

English Heritage Legacy ID: 384210

Location: King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE30

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Town: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

Electoral Ward/Division: St Margarets with St Nicholas

Built-Up Area: King's Lynn

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Find accommodation in
Kings Lynn

Listing Text


KING'S LYNN

TF6119NE NELSON STREET
610-1/9/142 (West side)
10/12/51 No.9

GV II*

House, probably originally on courtyard plan, now a
solicitors' office. Late C15, extensively rebuilt early C19.
Probably timber-framed, the jetty underbuilt in gault brick
and the first floor rendered and colourwashed. Plaintile roof.
Facade in 2 storeys. Central doorway flanked by 3 early C19
sash windows with glazing bars and gauged skewback arches.
Within doorway is a magnificent C15 timber door and frame:
door with studded vertical muntins set within a 4-centred
arched frame terminating in an ogee decorated with crockets
and finial. In the spandrel is a carved pelican. A 4-centred
arch over and a classical frieze, probably 1703. A moulded
timber string course divides the 2 floors. Upper storey
grudgingly symmetrical. Central 6-light transomed mullioned
window in a slight projection flanked by 2 very late C17
two-light cross casements each side. Facade closed at this
level by an Ionic fluted pilaster right and left. Gabled roof
with internal end stacks, that to the south in gault brick,
the other in red brick. Rear completely demolished and closed
by a full-length mid C20 brick wall. The lathing of the front
and insertion of the frieze has been dated to a new owner in
1703.


Listing NGR: TF6174619722

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.