This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7503 / 52°45'1"N
Longitude: 0.396 / 0°23'45"E
OS Eastings: 561814
OS Northings: 319660
OS Grid: TF618196
Mapcode National: GBR N3Q.JYH
Mapcode Global: WHJP7.14WC
Entry Name: The Maltings
Listing Date: 12 September 1969
Last Amended: 26 July 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195439
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384220
Location: King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE30
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Town: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Electoral Ward/Division: St Margarets with St Nicholas
Built-Up Area: King's Lynn
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
TF6119NE NELSON STREET
610-1/9/152 (South side)
12/09/69 The Maltings
(Formerly Listed as:
John Lee Bennett's Warehouses)
Maltings and warehouse dated on north wall 1868, converted to
flats and offices in 1980s.
Brick laid in Flemish bond and slate roofs.
4 distinct elements. South elevation faces Mill Fleet. East
end of 2 storeys in 3 bays illuminated through late C20
two-light casements, the lower ones under segmental arches.
East return with a central door and two late late C20 cross
casements under eaves. Doorway leads to staircase.
Next west is the former malthouse, 2 storeys in 3 bays with
casements as before. Tall hipped roof terminates in hipped
First warehouse block follows: 3 storeys in 6 bays, the
basement floor entered through 3 narrow loading doors and one
tall loading door in second bay from right. Timber doors.
Fenestration as before. Gabled roof.
West element is irregular and whitewashed. 3 storeys with 3
groups of former loading doors rising through elevation, each
flanked by one late C20 casement right and left.
The eastern group lacks one set of windows. Loading doors now
glazed. Gabled roof, hipped to west end.
North front of 3 storeys has a sudden patch of gault brick
near centre and a datestone: Elijah Eyre & Co, 1868. Two
timber lucams are now glazed to form features of the top
INTERIOR. Late C20 staircases at intervals on north side and
at east return, each stair well entered via a doorway.
Corridors run along north side. Roof structure not inspected.
Listing NGR: TF6181419659
Other nearby listed buildings