This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5395 / 51°32'22"N
Longitude: -0.1031 / 0°6'11"W
OS Eastings: 531647
OS Northings: 183990
OS Grid: TQ316839
Mapcode National: GBR N2.Z9
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.5KBP
Entry Name: Almeida Theatre
Listing Date: 29 September 1972
Last Amended: 30 September 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195445
English Heritage Legacy ID: 368492
Location: Islington, London, N1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Mary's
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary Islington
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3183NE ALMEIDA STREET
635-1/59/6 (South side)
29/09/72 Almeida Theatre
(Formerly Listed as:
Warehouse of Beck's British Carnival
Former Islington Literary and Scientific Institute;
subsequently used as a music hall from 1874, as a Salvation
Army citadel from 1890, when the interior was considerably
altered, as a warehouse from 1956, and as a theatre from 1980.
c.1837 by Robert Lewis Roumieu and Alexander Dick Gough. Built
by W.S.Dove. Stucco scored as ashlar, roofs of Welsh slate so
far as visible. Two storeys over basement, five bays to
Almeida Street forming a symmetrical facade, the middle three
bays projecting. In a stripped Classical style, the capitals
consisting of rectilinear mouldings simply stepped-out, and
pediments of unmoulded blocks. Steps up to original entrances
either side of the main front in single-storey wings:
flat-arched under porches with antae, entablature and block
pediment to blocking course; panelled doors of original
design. Additional doors to second and fourth bays, the other
openings 4/4 sashes. All openings flanked by pilasters with
stepped capitals, the projecting centrepiece flanked by giant
antae rising through two storeys. On the first floor the order
is the same except that the middle three windows are stepped
back to create a distyle arrangement of antae. Entablature and
blocking course with central pediment.
INTERIOR: in the 1890s the auditorium was reversed in
direction from the original lecture hall, and now has a
gallery carried on cast-iron columns at the northern end, the
balcony being five sides of an octagon in plan with its front
face decorated with anaglypta.
(Historians' file, English Heritage London Division; Almeida
Theatre. The building and its past (leaflet)).
Listing NGR: TQ3164783990
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings