This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5431 / 51°32'35"N
Longitude: -0.097 / 0°5'49"W
OS Eastings: 532063
OS Northings: 184404
OS Grid: TQ320844
Mapcode National: GBR Q1.C0
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.8GLX
Entry Name: 7, Alwyne Road
Listing Date: 20 September 1954
Last Amended: 30 September 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195448
English Heritage Legacy ID: 368498
Location: Islington, London, N1
Electoral Ward/Division: Canonbury
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Stephen Canonbury
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3284SW ALWYNE ROAD
635-1/54/12 (North West side)
(Formerly Listed as:
Detached house. c.1855. Developed, and probably designed, by
James Wagstaffe, and incorporating part of a former late C16
octagonal garden house from Old Canonbury House (cf. no 4
Alwyne Villas, q.v.) Yellow brick set in Flemish bond, stucco
and roofs of slate, the brickwork of the former garden house
covered with stucco. The 1850s wing has three storeys over
basement, two bays wide, basement stuccoed with banded
rustication. Ground and first-floor windows flat-arched with
moulded architraves but cornices and consoles now lost;
balconies and iron railings to ground-floor windows.
Second-floor windows have architraves now unmoulded and dying
into cornice band. Boxed eaves, side stack and hipped roof. A
single-storey porch wing linking the 1850s part to the former
garden house has steps up to flat-arched entrance with Doric
pilasters, cornice and moulded blocking course, panelled door
and overlight. The former garden house is covered with stucco
scored as ashlar in places; two windows in south-west side,
one to basement flat-arched under a continuous hoodmould;
cambered-arched window to ground floor on this side and on
opposite side. Octagonal chimneystack to north-west side,
facing into Alwyne Place.
No.7 was first included in the List of 29/09/72, and the
Garden Tower has been incorporated into it.
(Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).
Listing NGR: TQ3206384404
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings