This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5285 / 51°31'42"N
Longitude: -0.1102 / 0°6'36"W
OS Eastings: 531189
OS Northings: 182756
OS Grid: TQ311827
Mapcode National: GBR M6.D7
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.1VL4
Entry Name: Clerkenwell Church of England Primary School
Listing Date: 29 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195458
English Heritage Legacy ID: 368516
Location: Islington, London, EC1R
Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Clerkenwell Holy Redeemer
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3182NW AMWELL STREET
635-1/68/28 (West side)
and Clerkenwell Church of England
Formerly known as: Clerkenwell Parochial School AMWELL STREET.
Parochial (Church of England) school. On west side of slope of
hill approaching Claremont Square from the south. 1828-1830.
By William Chadwell Mylne, Surveyor for the New River Estate.
Yellow stock brick set in Flemish bond with stucco dressings;
roof obscured by parapet, brick stacks. Tudor Gothic style.
Side-hall entrances to outer bays. Two storeys; 11 bays
arranged 1:1:7:1:1. Symmetrical facade with recessed centre;
projecting flanking bays and recessed end entrance bays. Steps
rise to segmental pointed arched entrances surmounted by
louvred quatrefoils: stucco panelled storey bands above
inscriptions 'GIRLS SCHOOL' to left and 'BOYS SCHOOL' to
right; archivolts and hood-moulds to doorways; original
panelled door to 'BOYS SCHOOL'. Hood-moulds to mostly
replacement pivoting sashes throughout. Nine-light sashes to
recessed centre with continuous sill bands, ground-floor
sashes taller. Flanking bays with narrower sashes:
round-arched set in square-headed openings to ground floor and
taller of 21-panes, to 1st floor. Sill and inscribed storey
bands beneath 1st floor 12-pane sashes to entrance bays.
Stucco band and stone coping to parapets. Attached School
Keeper's house (No 25) set back at left (south) end: 2
storeys; 2 bays. Clerkenwell Parochial School was founded in
1700 but has only been in its present location since 1830.
(Richardson, J: Islington Past A Visual History of Islington:
London: 1988-: 63).
Listing NGR: TQ3118982756
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings