History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

M Manze Pie and Eel Shop

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnsbury, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5334 / 51°32'0"N

Longitude: -0.1091 / 0°6'32"W

OS Eastings: 531252

OS Northings: 183302

OS Grid: TQ312833

Mapcode National: GBR M4.NH

Mapcode Global: VHGQT.2Q5C

Entry Name: M Manze Pie and Eel Shop

Listing Date: 30 September 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195522

English Heritage Legacy ID: 368695

Location: Islington, London, N1

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: Barnsbury

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Silas Pentonville

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Islington

Listing Text


ISLINGTON

TQ3183SW CHAPEL MARKET
635-1/64/205 (South side)
No.74
M. Manze Pie and Eel Shop

II

House, now with restaurant and shop. Early C19 with c.1905
restaurant and shop; extension, 1952. Multi-coloured stock
bricks set in Flemish bond; roof obscured by parapet,
party-wall brick stacks; glazed shopfront with faience tiles
and painted glass detailing. Three storeys with projecting
ground-floor restaurant and shop; 2-window range. Glazed
shopfront, with single 1/1 horned sash to each side of
slightly off-centre double wood door with frosted glass
reading "MANZE'S"; plain rectangular overlight. Stone sills;
brown faience tiles below sashes. Lettering painted on back of
glass panels applied to fascia reading '-LIVE- EELS M. MANZE
JELLIED EELS'; wood cornice, console bracket to left.
INTERIOR: of restaurant and shop: rectangular in plan with
rear extension. Main restaurant with nine bays of high-back
wood benches and marble tables in line along left-wall; bar
and four bays along right-wall with central passage. Benches
with panelled, parallel high-backs resting on floor. Marble
tables cantilevered from wall and supported by single iron leg
at end. Original terrazzo floor under booths; mirrored and
faience-tiled walls. Bar-front tiled. The c.1905 restaurant
and shop is an important and rare surviving example of a type
of shop once common in London.


Listing NGR: TQ3125283302

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.