History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Numbers 39-47, 49-56, 58 and 59 and Attached Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in St Mary's, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5457 / 51°32'44"N

Longitude: -0.1003 / 0°6'1"W

OS Eastings: 531825

OS Northings: 184689

OS Grid: TQ318846

Mapcode National: GBR P0.M2

Mapcode Global: VHGQT.6DTX

Entry Name: Numbers 39-47, 49-56, 58 and 59 and Attached Railings

Listing Date: 29 September 1972

Last Amended: 30 September 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195567

English Heritage Legacy ID: 368826

Location: Islington, London, N1

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: St Mary's

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Stephen Canonbury

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Highbury

Listing Text


ISLINGTON

TQ3184NE COMPTON ROAD
635-1/46/333 (West side)
29/09/72 Nos.39-47,49-56,58 & 59
and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
COMPTON ROAD
Nos.39-58, 59 & 60 (Consecutive)
Northampton house)

GV II

Terraced houses, no 59 now offices. 1847-53. Developed by
George Frasi and James Beaumont. Brick, stucco, roofs of
slate. Three storeys over basement, two windows each, though
some houses have been thrown into one with a common porch. The
terrace is set out almost symmetrically with three ranges
having a fourth storey in the attic and six windows to each
range (nos 39-41, 49-50 and 58-9, though no 59 lacks an
attic); in between are two ranges of twelve windows each.
Flat-arched windows to all but attic storeys, which are
round-arched. Stucco to half-basement and ground floor, that
to ground floor being banded. Greek Doric prostyle porches
with panelled doors and fanlights; cast-iron balustrades to
sides; first-floor windows have cornices on consoles and
cast-iron balconies the full length of the terrace;
second-floor windows have architraves; cornice and blocking
course to three-storey houses, the groups being divided by
stops on consoles; secondary cornice to fourth-storey attics
with blocking course. Windows to nos 39-47 have mainly margin
lights; those to nos 49-50 are a mixture of margin lights and
three-by-two sashes; nos 51-58 have mainly three-by-two
sashes. No 39 has a two-storey entrance wing set back, ground
floor stuccoed with pilasters flanking the entrance. No 59 is
three-storeys over half-basement, with a two-bay extension to
the terrace with return into St Paul's Road of three bays:
ground floor and half-basement of channelled stucco,
single-storey side entrance flanked by pilasters; simple
architraves to first and second floors, string course between
the two. Cast-iron railings to area between squat stuccoed
piers, with fleur-de-lys finials.
(Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).


Listing NGR: TQ3182584689

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.