This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.534 / 51°32'2"N
Longitude: -0.1033 / 0°6'11"W
OS Eastings: 531649
OS Northings: 183385
OS Grid: TQ316833
Mapcode National: GBR N4.Y8
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.5P7W
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 29 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195583
English Heritage Legacy ID: 368871
Location: Islington, London, N1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Prebend Street
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3183SE DUNCAN TERRACE
635-1/65/373 (West side)
29/09/72 Church of St John
Roman Catholic church. 1841-43 by Joseph John Scoles, the
towers slightly later, with a new roof of c.1901, and the
interior re-ordered in 1964 and 1973. Red brick set in Flemish
bond to Duncan Terrace, yellow brick behind, stone dressings,
roof of Welsh slate and lead. Nave, apsidal chancel, and side
chapels in the place of aisles, all under a single roof.
Neo-Romanesque in style. Principal gabled front to the east,
flanked by towers. Central, round-arched, portal with two
Caernarvon-arched doorways; three round-arched windows at
gallery level with sill- and springing-bands; wheel window in
the gable. The south tower is divided into three stages, the
first and second flanked by engaged columns; the first stage
has a single round-arched portal with Caernarvon-arched
doorway; the second stage has two round-arched windows one
above the other; the third, belfry stage stands detached above
the body of the building, with round-arched openings flanked
by brick pilasters, and eaves cornice of oversailing brick, to
each side; pyramidal roof of lead. The north tower follows the
same design except that it is higher, having a short third
stage of blank brick arcading, and then a fourth, belfry stage
with two round-arched openings and eaves cornice in the form
of machicolated brickwork; broach spire of lead.
The simple interior continues the Neo-Romanesque theme with
round arches with engaged columns and stiff-leaf capitals
between the nave and side chapels, and between the nave and
the apsidal chancel, and a similar arcade to the clerestory;
later roof of hammer beam construction.
(Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).
Listing NGR: TQ3164983385
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings