History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sacred Heart of Jesus Church and Presbytery

A Grade II Listed Building in Holloway, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5499 / 51°32'59"N

Longitude: -0.1151 / 0°6'54"W

OS Eastings: 530787

OS Northings: 185132

OS Grid: TQ307851

Mapcode National: GBR FQ.5MY

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.Y9JN

Entry Name: Sacred Heart of Jesus Church and Presbytery

Listing Date: 30 September 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195584

English Heritage Legacy ID: 368873

Location: Islington, London, N7

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: Holloway

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Mary Magdelene and St David Holloway

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Highbury

Listing Text


ISLINGTON

TQ3085SE EDEN GROVE
635-1/36/1018 Sacred Heart of Jesus Church and
Presbytery

II

Church and presbytery. 1869-70. Founded by Canon Cornelius
Keens, designed by F.H. Pownall. Yellow stock brick with white
and black brick banding, some stone dressing. Slate roofs.
Early English style. High gabled west front with low north
aisle abuts large square tower. Linked to presbytery through
archway with 4/4 sashes over. Stair turret with steep roof.
Narrow gabled wing three storeys plus basement,
two-window-range of 4/4 sashes. Church interior faced with red
brick and black banding, stone dressings including carved
stiff leaf capitals to nave arcades by sarmer and Brindley.
Tall nave with clerestory and hammerbeam roof Stations of the
cross, painted carved oak in high relief by Anton Drape, 1909.
Sanctuary with green and white marble altar, side altars and
gallery remodelled 1960-1 by A.H. Archard.
(RCHM: Islington Chapels: 1992-).


Listing NGR: TQ3078785132

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.