History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Queen's Head Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in St Peter's, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5372 / 51°32'13"N

Longitude: -0.1003 / 0°6'1"W

OS Eastings: 531851

OS Northings: 183742

OS Grid: TQ318837

Mapcode National: GBR P3.M4

Mapcode Global: VHGQT.6MVG

Entry Name: The Old Queen's Head Public House

Listing Date: 20 September 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195587

English Heritage Legacy ID: 368879

Location: Islington, London, N1

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St James Prebend Street

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Islington

Listing Text


ISLINGTON

TQ3183NE ESSEX ROAD
635-1/59/379 (East side)
20/09/54 No.44
The Old Queen's Head Public House

II

Public house. c.1830, c.1900, and incorporating early C17
interior features from the former building. Yellow brick set
in Flemish bond, stucco, roof obscured by parapet. Three
storeys, three-window range to Essex Road and three to Queen's
Head Street with one window on the curved corner. Ground-floor
pub front of c.1900 with five bays to each side: pilasters,
segmental-arched windows, engraved glass and original doors,
except that the corner entrance is now a window and the first
two bays in Queen's Head Street are bricked up. Upper windows
flat-arched with pediments on consoles to first floor in Essex
Road and cornice on console to corner; first bay of windows in
Queen's Head Street blank. Moulded stucco sill band with
palmette ornament on Essex Road front; 6/6 sashes to Essex
Road and corner; stucco cornice and stepped parapet.
INTERIOR. A ceiling of early C17 modelled plasterwork with
bands of scrolling floral ornament forming panels to enclose
emblems, some in cartouches survives above bar area of the
public bar. In the north-west corner the wall is panelled to
either side of an early C17 chimneypiece of stone and wood.
The surround to the hearth is of stone, with term figures to
either side supporting an entablature with narrative, perhaps
mythological, scenes carved in two panels under a frieze of
strapwork. Above, the chimneypiece continues in wood with
three term figures, decorative panels between, decorative
frieze and bracketed cornice.


Listing NGR: TQ3185183742

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.