History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

366, Essex Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Canonbury, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5445 / 51°32'40"N

Longitude: -0.0889 / 0°5'20"W

OS Eastings: 532618

OS Northings: 184573

OS Grid: TQ326845

Mapcode National: GBR S0.5J

Mapcode Global: VHGQT.DFVV

Entry Name: 366, Essex Road

Listing Date: 20 June 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195588

English Heritage Legacy ID: 368884

Location: Islington, London, N1

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: Canonbury

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Mildmay Grove St Jude

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Highbury

Listing Text


ISLINGTON

TQ3284NE ESSEX ROAD
635-1/48/384 (East side)
20/06/74 No.366

II

Shop, now an hotel. c.1860. Two facades of equal importance to
Essex Road and Ockendon Road, set at a shallow convex angle to
each other. Yellow brick laid in Flemish bond, stucco, roof
obscured by parapet. Three storeys to each front. The ground
floor projects as a shop front, two bays to each street,
divided by piers of pink polished granite; the bays to Essex
Road having original glazing and entrances with wooden
doorcases, pilaster-jambs, cornices, overlights and woodwork
decorated with incised ornament. First bay to Ockendon Road
with original glazing, the second bay filled in c.1980.
Entablature as shop fascia topped by continuous run of iron
cresting. First floor on either front has flat-arched windows
with round-arched stucco mouldings linked by springing bands,
the tympana filled with modelled ornament; the windows in the
first bay to Ockendon Road filled in on both floors.
Second-floor windows have sills on brackets and cornices on
consoles with elaborate scrolling ornament above. The Essex
Road front is flanked by a moulded plaster panel to the south
and a curved recessed plaster panel to the corner. Bracketed
cornice with panelled frieze; blocking course with raised
panel at corner with 'JAY' in incised lettering, the panel
flanked by consoles with modelled floral ornament. Between the
second and third bays of the Essex Road front, above the first
floor, a large clock mounted on ornate iron brackets, with
lettering 'ESTD JAY 1862'. A well-preserved example of a
pawnbrokers' and jewellers' shop of the period.


Listing NGR: TQ3261884573

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.