History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Samuel Lewis Buildings, Flats 101 to 148

A Grade II Listed Building in St Mary's, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5437 / 51°32'37"N

Longitude: -0.1063 / 0°6'22"W

OS Eastings: 531417

OS Northings: 184459

OS Grid: TQ314844

Mapcode National: GBR N0.9S

Mapcode Global: VHGQT.3GNF

Entry Name: Samuel Lewis Buildings, Flats 101 to 148

Listing Date: 30 September 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195666

English Heritage Legacy ID: 369099

Location: Islington, London, N1

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: St Mary's

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Mary Magdelene and St David Holloway

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Highbury

Listing Text


ISLINGTON

TQ3184SW LIVERPOOL ROAD
635-1/52/584 (East side)
(Consecutive)
Samuel Lewis Buildings, Flats
101-148

GV II

Block of flats. Dated 1909 on rainwater heads, the estate as a
whole completed in 1910. Designed by Joseph and Smithem for
the Samuel Lewis Trust. Red brick set in English bond with
dressings of artificial stone and roughcast, roofs of
artificial slate. Five storeys. Part of an estate of six
parallel blocks with gable ends to Liverpool Road; the five
southernmost blocks are identical in design though not in
orientation, and symmetrical on both their long fronts; the
northernmost block, nos 601-14, is shorter and of rather
different design.
The block is designed in three sections, each of basically the
same design, but with variations in the outer sections which
render the block as a whole symmetrical; all windows are
flat-arched except for those on the second, third and fourth
floors of the middle bay of each section at the rear; and all
windows are sashes except for those to the staircase bay and
those altered in the outermost bays of the entrance front of
each block. On the entrance front, the middle section contains
the following elements (1) a central staircase bay with
flat-arched entrance under bracketed canopy, in a two-storey
porch with battered sides and tented roof; two casement
windows above this, the upper of three lights with stone
mullions under deep bracketed eaves to steep hipped roof with
one narrow pedimented dormer; (2) either side of the staircase
bay is a five-storey bay of sash windows, each with gauged
brick head and keystone, under a banded and corniced gable;
(3) either side of this, a canted bay to five storeys, with
stone window surrounds and cast-iron window guards, rendered
spandrels to third and fourth floors and an ogee domed roof;
(4) beyond that a bay of sash-windows with window-guards,
gauged brick heads and keystones to the ground and first
floors, moulded storey band between second and third floors,
whole of third floor rendered, deep bracketed eaves and
flat-arched dormer in mansard roof; the division between each
section is marked by a 'party wall' whose profile is upswept
to corniced chimneys. The two outer sections reproduce the
same arrangement, except that the gables flanking the
staircase bay are banded and shaped, the outer, five-storey,
canted bay ends in deep eaves and a canted dormer instead of
ogee roof, and the outermost bays of the whole block have
narrower windows and a dormer abutting a front stack.
The rear elevation is again in three sections, and employs the
elements of the entrance front in a simplified way: central,
three-window bays to the middle of each range, under a gable
to the middle range and under shaped gables to the outer
ranges; then canted bays with ogee domes to the middle
sections and canted dormers to the outer ones; then two ranges
of sash-windows with render to the third floor; and then outer
bays, which in the centre are of two windows, on the outer
ranges of one tripartite window.
The west end to Liverpool Road has two windows in a shallow
bay to the ground-to-third floors, the ground-floor windows
with stone surrounds under a segmental pediment, the tympanum
filled with putti and arabesques embracing a cartouche
inscribed 'SAMUEL LEWIS BUILDINGS'; tented roof to bay;
fourth-floor window of four lights with stone surround and
cornice; stone sill- and storey-bands; mansarded gable with
stone cornicing. The east end is treated in the same way but
with a stone cornice in place of the pediment and ornament
above the ground-floor window.
The Samuel Lewis Trust was set up in 1906, one of several
housing trusts established in London round the turn of the
century to provide housing for the poor; and the estate in
Liverpool Road, which originally provided a total of 332
flats, appears to have been the first that the Trust built.
(Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).


Listing NGR: TQ3141784459

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.