History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Samuel Lewis Building, Flats 601 to 614

A Grade II Listed Building in St Mary's, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5446 / 51°32'40"N

Longitude: -0.1071 / 0°6'25"W

OS Eastings: 531358

OS Northings: 184549

OS Grid: TQ313845

Mapcode National: GBR N0.3H

Mapcode Global: VHGQT.3F7S

Entry Name: Samuel Lewis Building, Flats 601 to 614

Listing Date: 30 September 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195667

English Heritage Legacy ID: 369104

Location: Islington, London, N1

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: St Mary's

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Mary Magdelene and St David Holloway

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Highbury

Listing Text


ISLINGTON

TQ3184NW LIVERPOOL ROAD
635-1/45/589 (East side)
(Consecutive)
Samuel Lewis Buildings, Flats
601-614

GV II

Block of flats. Dated 1909 on rainwater heads, the estate as a
whole completed in 1910. Designed by Joseph and Smithem for
the Samuel Lewis Trust. Red brick set in English bond with
dressings of artificial stone and roughcast, roofs of
artificial slate. Five storeys. Part of an estate of six
blocks which are set out in parallel, with short gabled ends
to Liverpool Road; the five southernmost blocks are identical
in design though not in orientation, and symmetrical on both
their long fronts; the northernmost block, nos 601-614, is
shorter and of rather different design.
All windows flat-arched, and all sashes apart from those in
the staircase bay which are casements. Central staircase bay
with flat-arached entrance under a bracketed canopy with
three-light mullioned windows to first and third floors;
canted bay to either side with stone window surrounds and
cast-iron window-guards to four storeys, deep eaves, which
also run over middle bay, and canted dormer in mansard roof;
either side of that are ranges of three windows, the central
windows shorter, under a shaped and banded gable; either side
of that, set back slightly, is a one-window range, apparently
altered on the ground floor, the third floor rendered, and
dormer in mansard roof.
The rear elevation is stepped in plan with a large lift block
inserted in one re-entrant angle.
(Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).


Listing NGR: TQ3135884549

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.