History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor Gardens Health and Community Centre

A Grade II Listed Building in Finsbury Park, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5612 / 51°33'40"N

Longitude: -0.1205 / 0°7'13"W

OS Eastings: 530378

OS Northings: 186377

OS Grid: TQ303863

Mapcode National: GBR FP.B9G

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.V1M0

Entry Name: Manor Gardens Health and Community Centre

Listing Date: 20 June 1974

Last Amended: 30 September 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195678

English Heritage Legacy ID: 369130

Location: Islington, London, N7

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: Finsbury Park

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Mark Tollington Park

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Highbury

Listing Text


ISLINGTON

TQ3086SW MANOR GARDENS
635-1/21/613 (North side)
20/06/74 Nos.6 AND 7
Manor Gardens Health and Community
Centre
(Formerly Listed as:
MANOR GARDENS
Nos.6-9 (Consecutive))

GV II

Houses now School health and community centre. The west wing
was a pair of semi-detached houses, of early C19 date; the
centre block, set back, was built for the North Islington
School for Mothers in 1927-8, and the connecting block then or
later; together with nos 8 and 9, which are set forward and
match nos 6 and 7, they now form the Manor Gardens Health and
Community Centre. Yellow brick set in Flemish bond to the
early C19 buildings and English bond to the centre wing, roofs
of Welsh slate. Two and three storeys over basement; the early
C19 houses of three windows each, the centre block of
five-window range. The early C19 houses have steps up to
flat-arched entrances in the slightly recessed outer bay, with
stucco surround of pilasters but entablature now missing; the
doorcase has panelled pilasters with cornice, sidelights, and
overlight with decorative glazing, and panelled doors of
original design. All windows with gauged brick heads, those to
ground floor round-arched, those to first floor flat-arched;
6/6 sashes of original design to all windows except
westernmost first-floor, which is blank; most ground-floor
windows with radiating glazing bars; boxed eaves; hipped roof
with dormers and stacks to party walls.
The centre block has a segmental-arched entrance in a
single-storey porch to the recessed wing on the left, with
dentil cornice and parapet over; ground-floor windows
flat-arched with gauged brick heads, set back in a
round-arched panel; first-floor windows flat-arched with stone
or composition stone lintel; storey band to second floor;
small flat-arched windows to second floor under eaves with
mutules; hipped roof with stack to side wing; linking wing has
flat-arched windows, most with gauged brick heads.
The North Islington School for Mothers was founded in 1913 and
was a pioneering organisation in voluntary social work in the
borough.


Listing NGR: TQ3037886377

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.