History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

North Library and Attached Gate Piers and Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Islington, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5604 / 51°33'37"N

Longitude: -0.1216 / 0°7'17"W

OS Eastings: 530305

OS Northings: 186287

OS Grid: TQ303862

Mapcode National: GBR FP.B0Z

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.V12L

Entry Name: North Library and Attached Gate Piers and Railings

Listing Date: 30 September 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195679

English Heritage Legacy ID: 369132

Location: Islington, London, N7

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: Finsbury Park

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Mark Tollington Park

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Highbury

Listing Text


ISLINGTON

TQ3086SW MANOR GARDENS
635-1/21/615 (South side)
North Library and attached gate
piers and railings

II

Public library, originally known as North Islington Library.
1905-6. By Henry T.Hare. Red and yellow brick set in English
bond with dressings of Portland stone, and roof of slate.
Three storeys over basement, seven-window range to main front,
with lower porch wing of one-window range to right. Apart from
the porch, the building is symmetrical with pedimented outer
bays. Casement windows throughout with original leaded
glazing. Round-arched entrance to porch consisting of
pilasters and moulded stone archivolt with double keystone,
set in a rectangular architrave with festoons in the
spandrels; cornice with lettered panel to parapet 'PUBLIC
LIBRARY'; the porch is cross-vaulted with a shallow domed apse
to right and two flat-arched architraves with keystones facing
the entrance, one for a door, the other for the foundation
stone; first floor of porch wing set back with flat-arched
window with moulded stone architrave and parapet with stone
coping swept up to main block. This has a base of Portland
stone; outer bays stepped forward twice with rainwater goods
in re-entrant angle; keyed oculus to ground floor; storey
band; flat-arched window to first floor with eared architrave
and plain stone apron; flush stone quoins; modillion cornice
to broken pediment with central cartouche and festoons;
stepped parapet behind pediment. The centre of the building
has, on the ground floor, a sequence of double brick Doric
pilasters with stone courses supporting stone entablature with
pulvinated frieze and dentil cornice; set back between the
pilasters are five flat-arched windows with mullions and
transoms and moulded stone architraves; the windows read as a
continuous screen by comparison with the first floor which has
five small flat-arched windows with eared architraves and
festoons as aprons; the modillion cornice continues to the
eaves; roof of graded slate with five dormers alternating
between segmental and triangular pediments; central lantern
with pediments to all four sides and ogee roof with delicate
finial and weather vane. Stacks to apex of stone-coped gables,
with stone courses and cornice. Rear apsidal elevation of
yellow brick with red brick dressings and shallow buttresses.
Brick gate piers in front of porch with stone caps; area
railings with urn standards and spike finials.
INTERIOR: : entrance hall panelled in fine grey stone,
terrazzo floor, ceiling barrel-vaulted in the centre and
cross-vaulted at either end. Ground-floor front room,
originally the children's library, has a coffered ceiling and
dentil cornice; round-arched arcade, now unmoulded, to rear,
apsidal room, formerly the reading room, which has a
semi-circular arcade of four Doric columns and beams radiating
to the outer walls. Staircase with dado of fine grey stone and
dog-leg stair with stone balustrade to third flight and
landing. First-floor passage with terrazzo floor and
alternately cross- and barrel-vaulted ceiling; former lecture
room to front with segmental vaulted ceiling panelled with
decorative plasterwork; rear apsidal room, now, as originally,
the lending library, with semi-circular arcade of four
Corinthian columns. The elaborate wooden architraves to doors,
some pedimented, with original panelled and glazed doors and
original door furniture, survive generally throughout the
building.
(Amian L.Champneys: Public libraries: London: 1907-: P.130).


Listing NGR: TQ3030586287

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.