This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5475 / 51°32'50"N
Longitude: -0.1263 / 0°7'34"W
OS Eastings: 530018
OS Northings: 184841
OS Grid: TQ300848
Mapcode National: GBR FQ.2V9
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.RCLJ
Entry Name: The Lion Public House
Listing Date: 29 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195691
English Heritage Legacy ID: 369174
Location: Islington, London, N7
Electoral Ward/Division: Holloway
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Luke West Holloway
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3084NW NORTH ROAD
635-1/43/657 (South side)
29/09/72 The Lion public house
Public house. 1855. By John Bunstone Bunning for the
Corporation of the City of London. Yellow brick set in English
bond, Portland stone dressings, roof of slate. Four storeys
over basement, four windows to North Road, five to the east,
these being the principal facades. Rusticated stone quoins to
corners; stone plinth, now painted. One flat-arched entrance
in North Road, three to the east, one now blocked; flat-arched
windows to ground floor flanked by slim engaged columns, the
windows to the east forming, with the entrances, a continuous
range across the whole front; fascia. The first-floor windows
are round-arched with architrave, cornice on consoles and
panelled spandrels, those to the east being one pane deeper
than those in North Road, probably in relation to a balcony,
now missing; sill band to second-floor windows which are
similarly detailed but with segmental pediments instead of
cornices; third-floor windows round-arched with bracketed
sills, panelled spandrels and plain stepped pilasters running
up into the plain frieze; dentil cornice; all windows have
sashes of original design; two hipped roofs running
north-south with panelled and corniced stacks, one to each
ridge and two end stacks to south.
The only surviving mid-C19 features of the interior are the
cornices with rosette and egg-and-dart ornament.
(Mark Girouard: Victorian pubs: London: 1975-: 41).
Listing NGR: TQ3001884841
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings