History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

20-24, Old Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Bunhill, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5236 / 51°31'25"N

Longitude: -0.0972 / 0°5'50"W

OS Eastings: 532102

OS Northings: 182238

OS Grid: TQ321822

Mapcode National: GBR Q8.90

Mapcode Global: VHGQT.8YGW

Entry Name: 20-24, Old Street

Listing Date: 12 October 1978

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1195699

English Heritage Legacy ID: 369188

Location: Islington, London, EC1V

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: Bunhill

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Giles Cripplegate

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
London

Listing Text


ISLINGTON

TQ3282SW OLD STREET
635-1/75/672 (South side)
12/10/78 Nos.20-24 (Even)

II

Workshops. The seven-bay range to the east designed in 1880 by
Ford and Hesketh for Samuel Haskins, manufacturer of window
blinds and revolving shutters; the six bays to the west added
in 1896-98 by the same architects. Cast iron, Portland stone
and presumably brick, roof obscured by parapet. Five storeys,
thirteen-window range. The two ranges of the Old Street front
are flanked by Portland stone panelled piers; the front is
articulated by cast iron arcades consisting of engaged columns
with spiral and vertical fluting and foliage capitals, and
quatrefoil openwork in the spandrels. Ground floor has late
C20 front behind original metal arcade in the form of
round-arched entrance with extended basket arches on either
side.The upper floors are identical and are articulated by
round-arched arcades each carrying a Portland stone
entablature on which the next arcade rests; moulded stone
cornice. Herbert Ford was a specialist in warehouse design and
at his death in 1903 was said to have designed four hundred
warehouses in London.
(Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).


Listing NGR: TQ3210282238

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.